• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stowing a Bruce on an E23 ?

Sven

Seglare
The boat has a couple of undersized danforth-like anchors. I think they are 8 and 12 lbs and the 12 pounder has maybe 10 feet of chain. These two anchors may be fine for an afternoon but I wouldn't want to depend on them overnight.

For Southern California conditions a Bruce appears to be the anchor of choice but I can't imagine how to stow it on deck. I have to admit that I also have trouble imagining dropping a 20-30 pound anchor over the pulpit or lifelines, with some 10 to 20 feet of 1/4" chain. A serious bow roller setup would seem to be the answer but I don't think that would work without removing the pulpit.

Any clean and efficient solutions I've overlooked ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Anchors

I would think a 30 pound anchor with 30' feet of chain is bordering on a mooring, not an anchor for a 23!

The 12-15 pounders with 10' of chain should be more than adequate with any kind of a decent bottom, and 20 pounds and 20' would hold you in a serious blow.

There are some after market bow rollers you may be able to fit with out removing the pulpit, but consider the disadvantage of carrying all that weight in the wrong place (bow) for something that most people use fairly infrequently. Unless you anchor MOST of the time you go out, your boat will be MUCH happier keeping the ground tackle low inside the boat. Again, unless you are in very serious weather, 15 pounds and 10-15 feet of chain is PLENTY, and that weight is not too hard to carry around.

The boat will suffer significantly in peformance (and pitching moment) by carrying that weight at the bow...
Good sailing,
S

Sven

Seglare
Bruce storage

Hi Seth,

I think you misread the numbers I listed. 10-20 feet of chain and a 20-30 lb bruce are pretty much in line with recomended main anchor specs, especially if that is also the storm anchor. On a boat as small as a 23 you would probably not have room to carry a separate storm anchor so the main anchor will have to do double duty.

Other than a roller setup, are there any good designs for chocks where you can lash the anchor on deck as you get close to where you want to drop it for the night ? I looked at off-the-shelf rollers and am still looking.

Thanks,

-Sven

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Anchors

Hi there-Well, I could buy into 20 pounds and 10-15", but 30 and 20 feet is an awful lot for that boat IMHO, and based on specs we have used for years-not that it really matters-the main point being to be careful about hanging too much weight out at the end of the "pendulum", so to speak-especially if anchoring is not too common an occurance.

There are some very nice chocks which attach to the pulpit-have you looked at the West MArine catalog? The have a lot of that kind of thing.

Good luck!

S

escapade

Inactive Member
Sven;
I used a 22 lbs. Bruce on my E30+ w/10 ft. chain. Never had a problem. Am presently using a 33 lbs. Bruce on my E34. I would think that a 7.5 kg (16lbs.) Bruce should be adaquate for anything up to 40-45 kn. with any kind of holding. I would be concerned with the bow getting heavy with that much anchor & chain forward. Here in the Great White North we usually have sand, mud, grass & weeds, and/or rocks for holding. Bruce is not the best for everything but a good all around hook.
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Sven

Seglare
Hi Bud,

Originally posted by escapade
Sven;
I used a 22 lbs. Bruce on my E30+ w/10 ft. chain. ...

I think that's the setup we're heading for as well. Chapman suggests a foot of chain per foot of boat, but they also suggest that a 11 lb Bruce is enough for a combination working and storm anchor. Of course, Chapman notes that they assume fair holding ground and a scope of 7 to 1, neither of which is likely in the Southern California Channel Islands.

If I hadn't spent so many hours diving out there I probably wouldn't be so paranoid about staying put :) The bottom is not anchor friendly. The Bruce is a natural choice after obseving what all the local commercial boats use but a grappling hook had crossed my mind.

Thanks,

-Sven

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Anchoring

Hey again-I will get off your back with this final comment-now that I know where you are doing the sailing, 2 things come to mind:
1). I can appreciate a little more your concern out at the Channel Islands (I am from SoCal), but;
2). My point about carrying the weight is of even more concern in that you are making a fairly long open water crossing in what can be fairly rough weather(and seas). The boat could be significantly compromised in those conditions with the full set up permanently at the bow. The pitching moment will increase dramatically (you can do the math), and adversely affect the boats' seakeeping qualities.

In the end-you will do what's best for you.
Fair winds,
S

Sven

Seglare
Re: Anchoring

Originally posted by Seth
with the full set up permanently at the bow. The pitching moment will increase dramatically (you can do the math), and adversely affect the boats' seakeeping qualities.

Hi Seth,

I never meant to imply that the roller or chock storage was permanent.

Right now the foredeck is wonderfully uncluttered, but it is so uncluttered that there is no place to stage the ground tackle when you get close enough to want to be ready. Laying an anchor loose on unprotected gelcoat in sometimes enthusiastic seas just won't do. The ideal would be to stage it on a roller, ready to drop when the right place is found, but even a pulpit hanger or deck mounted wood chocks could do it. The problem is that the Bruce has such an impractical shape that other then a roller or pulpit hanger I don't see a practical way.

Maybe I'll just have to dive down and tie the line to a boulder every time we find the spot for the night :)

-Sven

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Right-

Gotcha, Sven-My biggest concern was sailing for long periods with so much weight so far forward-all other concerns being equal. I'm sure it will work out.
Best,
Seth