• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What's the deal with people having "too" in their boat names?

Andrew Means

Member III
I see it all the time, people with boats named "_______ Too" - surely they didn't have a "_______" and they meant to name it "_______ Two/II" and got the spelling wrong? Anyway, the pedantic grammarian in me finds it profoundly annoying.

Anybody here have a "_______ Too" boat? Why'd you go for the "too" instead of II or Two? Did you have a boat prior with the same name? If not, why even add the too to begin with? If so, why 'too' rather than the numeric? My brain hurts trying to parse the grammar!

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I see it all the time, people with boats named "_______ Too" - surely they didn't have a "_______" and they meant to name it "_______ Two/II" and got the spelling wrong? Anyway, the pedantic grammarian in me finds it profoundly annoying.

Anybody here have a "_______ Too" boat? Why'd you go for the "too" instead of II or Two? Did you have a boat prior with the same name? If not, why even add the too to begin with? If so, why 'too' rather than the numeric? My brain hurts trying to parse the grammar!

I have never had a "Too" boat, and never would. But I'm not convinced the practice is grammatically incorrect. You have a boat named "X," and I might have a boat named "X," also. Although, one should probably insert a comma, "X, too."

If too is used as a substitute for two, then it is obviously incorrect and a little too cutesy for my taste. But there are plenty of cheesy word plays on boat transoms that make me throw up in my mouth a little.

Last edited:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Speaking of boat names, I liked this one I saw in Isthmus Cove at Catalina last August.

Edit: At least the decree let him keep the boat!

Attachments

• IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 9,232

Andrew Means

Member III
I have never had a "Too" boat, and never would. But I'm not convinced the practice is grammatically incorrect. You have a boat named "X," and I might have a boat named "X," also. Although, one should probably insert a comma, "X, too."

If too is used as a substitute for two, then it is obviously incorrect and a little too cutesy for my taste. But there are plenty of cheesy word plays on boat transoms that make me throw up in my mouth a little.

Yeah, if somebody added a comma before 'too' I would be totally fine with it!

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I think that should be written: "Yeah, if somebody added a comma before 'too', I would be totally fine with it!"

Sorry, couldn't resist....:devil:

Sorry, but the comma goes inside the quotation mark. Sorry, I had to! :devil:

Edit: In grad school, I majored in commas.

Last edited:

Emerald

I can't believe I missed that one! And should that quotation mark actually be a double instead of a single, or are we quoting the quotation of "too"?

bill-the-cat.jpg

Last edited:

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Works for Me!

But there are plenty of cheesy word plays on boat transoms that make me throw up in my mouth a little.

Its not easy bee'in cheesy! :)

The picture of the sailing dinghy is not great. Name is "Sar.enna.ty Too"

Attachments

• CIMG0891.jpg
    CIMG0891.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 305478_2230673700353_1653195924_2300823_902603715_n.jpg
    305478_2230673700353_1653195924_2300823_902603715_n.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:

Blue Chip

Member III
I think a lot of times they are useing TOO in the sense of ALSO.
The next time you see this, pronounce TOO as the word ALSO and see what you get.

Emerald

No, the single quote within a double quote is perfect.

Sigh.... I'm almost embarrassed to know this stuff.

At the risk of beating the grammar horse to death, I didn't write that clearly, but I was getting too silly. As you point out, a quotation within a quotation is done with single quote marks. I was taking it to the inane level of a third quote within a second quote within the first quote. Please, don't quote me on this. :rolleyes: Ugh! Until I can go sailing again and regain my sanity, I probably should just drink more coffee and stay away from the keyboard. :cool:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A boat by any other name would be........

I think a lot of times they are useing TOO in the sense of ALSO.
The next time you see this, pronounce TOO as the word ALSO and see what you get.

I do know of sailors that used the added word "too" in boats bought after their origininally-named vessel. Main reason was that they liked their name the first time around, but wanted it to always be a discrete happy memory.

Having said that, there are also a group of boaters that name all of their craft (owned in succession I presume) with the same name.

Further, there are folks that really want to avoid using the "II" because they see it as pretentious. Sort of like "Arrogant Yachter II"...... :rolleyes:

Given the very personal nature of boat names, it doesn't matter much to me.... although I cringe every time I recall the faded yellow 25 foot sloop in our area in the 70's with the name: Wet Dream!
Oy!!

But just to show that the world is often balanced out, there also was a Windrose 18 that used to race in our club in the late 70's called.... in large font.... that stretched at least three or four feet up each side... "Rambunctious" ! :)

It's no wonder that there are books and web pages devoted to boat names.
:0

Cheers,

Loren

Olson 34
Fresh Air -- for all you older rock music fans

Last edited:

steven

Sustaining Member
I'm thinking of Whisper tu. My daughter is minoring in Latin and either cannot or will not tell me if this is grammatically correct (in either language).

--Steve

--