• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Kelp Fly Solutions?

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
On Monday, January 9, kelp flies plagued us from outside LA Harbor all the way to Isthmus Cove. The weather was clear, in the low 70's, and the breeze was 5-10 knots. The next day, the weather was similar, and the flies were awful. The third day was overcast and cooler, and the flies were not bad. It warmed up, and they returned.

What can we do to keep these damned things off us? Are there sprays or zappers that work on them? They don't bite, but they're annoying as hell!

I don't remember having problems with them in the winter--and only occasionally in the summer. But they were relentless last week.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I had never heard of a kelp fly. Looked them up on the web.

I have occasionally seen a fly like that when out sailing and always wondered where they came from. Fortunately, sailing out of Channel Islands Harbor, I have never seen more than one or two of them at a time.

What you describe kinda reminds me of the "love bugs" we used to see down on the Gulf Coast of Texas. Run into a swarm of those while driving on the highway and your windshield will be covered in goo in seconds...don't turn on your wipers!

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I had never heard of a kelp fly. Looked them up on the web.

I have occasionally seen a fly like that when out sailing and always wondered where they came from. Fortunately, sailing out of Channel Islands Harbor, I have never seen more than one or two of them at a time.

We usually encounter them in small doses at Catalina, but rarely when we're sailing or in any kind of wind. This time, they swarmed us all the way across the channel (there were lots of floating kelp paddies and another debris for them to feed on). They don't bite, but they're annoying as hell. Although it was shorts and tee shirt weather, we wore sweats with elastic ankles and hoodies to keep them off our legs, arms and necks. The bastards get caught in my leg hair, which drives me crazy. Damn, my skin is crawling as I type this.

Next time we'll try some bug sprays, but I'm not optimistic about them. Fly swatters are good for an upper body workout, but futile. Maybe a bug zapper?

Dave Neptune

Member II
Get em

Mark, often while sitting on the mooring at the island the bees really drive us nuts and occasionally mosquitos at night. I find that by lighting my small kerosene light in the cabin keeps the bees and especially the mosquitos out and come to think of it I don't remember being bothered by flies when it is lit either. However I wasn't trying to get rid of the flies. Sitting the K-lamp in or around the cockpit sure does keep the mosquitos away though. Might be worth a try.

Dave Neptune :cool:

Dave Neptune

Member II
Candles

Loren, I have found the K-lamp just as effective if not more than the citronella and no spilled wax occasionally. My wife is a candle nut and I try to keep them off the boat (due to the spilling) as much as possible, however I do allow her to keep a couple that are in small galve3nized bucket like holders for some evenings on the beach or in the cove.

Dave Neptune :cool: