• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

MDR Christmas Parade ?

Sven

Seglare
Our new (old), 1975 Ericson 23 is in MDR. We saw a notice about the Christmas Parade being on 12-13. We've never been to the parade and just a quick glance at the pictures of prior entries make it clear that just stringing some lights on the boat won't cut it. Since we won't be participants we're wondering if it makes any sense to watch the parade from the water, on the boat ?

Is it a zoo ? Will parking be impossible ? If you can watch from your boat where do you go to get the best view but stay out of the way of the parade boats ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Sven,
I don't know about MDR's parade, but here in San Diego we have a Parade of Lights every year. I think this will be the 32nd year. Anyway I have watched it from the shore and from the water and I actually was in the parade last year. In my opinion watching from shore was the most fun, providing you pick a spot that has lots of people and lots of food. In some areas along the bay they even build campfires while the parade goes by and roast marshmallows and sing carols.

NGB

Member II
Jim,
When is the Parade of Lights this year? I was considering motoring out of Harbor Island to watch, but maybe I will just find a nice spot to camp on the shore instead.

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
32nd Annual San Diego Bay Parade of Lights:
Sunday, December 7th, 5:30-9:00 pm
Sunday, December 14th, 5:30-9:00pm

more info at www.sdparadeoflights.org

I will probably watch the parade from Seaport Village next weekend, and from my boat this weekend if I can convince Michelle (my wife) to go with me.

NGB

Member II
Jim,
We got a room with a bay view at the Sheraton West Tower and enjoyed the parade passing virtually under our balcony. I counted roughly 80 boats. We enjoyed it very much. Thanks for the reminder.

Monday AM we wanted to go for a sail before heading home, but the winds were dead calm, so we cranked up the diesel and toured Shelter Island, which we had not done before. The west side holds some very impressive boats. However, the owners can't be enjoying them any more than we are our E28.

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Gary,
What a great idea. I never thought about booking a room at the sheratin. there are a couple of other hotels that look out over the bay also that are along the route. I think I might reserve a room for next year. It would be a nice Christmas gift for my wife (me too).