• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

San Pedro lighthouse renovation is flashing forward!

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Lighthouse preservation

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the information about the Angels Gate lighthouse preservation. My wife is involved with efforts to preserve the Turn Point Lightstation on Stuart Island in the San Juan Island archipelago. She will be delighted to read about other conservation efforts. Thanks for the information. Dave Cahill

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Your welcome Dave,

If you and your Wife like Lighthouse's your probably aware that we also have the Pt. Fermin Lighthouse here in San Pedro that has been lovingly restored and in recent years, reunited with it's original Lens that was missing for many years. The thing about the Angels Gate Lighthouse that is so important to us in the sailing community down here is that it's so visible. You have to sail past it to get to open water. It has really looked like it's just about to fall apart for many years, so pleased this is happening!

Angels Gate: http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=99

Pt. Fermin: http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=97

Meanolddad

Member III
Waited for the fog to lift Monday and sailed out to see the progress. They were sandblasting under the skirt when we went by. We cannot wait to see the finished product.
It was a great day for a sail once the fog moved out of the harbor. We sailed through Cabrillo Marina and were amazed at all the empty new slips. Lots of wind, we sailed up the main channel towards the Vincent Thomas bridge under main alone. We did not stray to far away as the fog seemed to be ready to creep back in.
Greg

Attachments

• 2011-10-1714.52.09.jpg
    2011-10-1714.52.09.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 134

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Waited for the fog to lift Monday and sailed out to see the progress. They were sandblasting under the skirt when we went by. We cannot wait to see the finished product.
It was a great day for a sail once the fog moved out of the harbor. We sailed through Cabrillo Marina and were amazed at all the empty new slips. Lots of wind, we sailed up the main channel towards the Vincent Thomas bridge under main alone. We did not stray to far away as the fog seemed to be ready to creep back in.
Greg

Thanks for the photo Greg. I haven't been out in weeks because I am going through the (what my mechanic calls) the "Process" of replacing my fuel tank. A lot of those vacant slips you saw at the new Cabrillo Way Marina are not available yet because they still have to finish the shore facilities like heads and showers. In the mean time, the birds, kelp and wild life are taking over on that side. :)

Meanolddad

Member III
Daughter Jessica went on a ride in a Piper Cub over San Pedro. Here is another view of the Angels Gate renovation from just outside the breakwater.

Cheers
Greg
2011-10-2316.09.30.jpg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks Jessica & Greg!

Thanks Jessica & Greg! That's a view I have never seen aside from Google Earth. :egrin:

I bet they want it to look good for when the USS Iowa comes to make San Pedro her home Port in July!

Last edited: