• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

BVI yacht charter recomendation

erikwfab

Member II
Can anyone reccomend a bareboat yacht charter company in the BVI or possibly Red Hook?
I am thinking of chartering a sailboat for a week and havent been down there in 18 years.
We are looking to charter a simple 40-45 footer just before X-mas. Anyone with recomendations or recent experience in the BVI is appreciated.

Matey

Member III
Bvi

p (26).jpgp (22).jpg

After a 25 yr hiatus .. we chartered out of Road Town, Tortola for 12 days in June with Moorings. We had an awesome time and were happy on all accounts with Moorings. We had a Beneteau 37.2. The boat was clean, well equiped and the staff / arrangements all good. We did most of the provisioning ourself's in town and added a day on the front end and two on the back so we didn't feel so rushed. AC would have been real nice in June though. The people of the Caribbean are wonderful, I love it there.
If you have any particular questions, fire away. Our intinerary consisted of a CCW island hop, staying until we felt like moving :nerd:

Go for it ..
Greg

windjunkee

Member III
We used Conch Charters in Road Town. Their boats are a little older than Moorings. We chartered a Catalina 42. The staff was excellent and we had no problems with the boat. The dinghies were too small but that was a problem we could deal with. Also, the charter price was about half what Moorings was asking for.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E32-2, Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

RedHerring

Member II
+1 for Conch, if you are okay with a 2nd tier charter company (meaning, their boats are 5-8 years old, and their rates are cheaper than Moorings or Sunsail).

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Bvi

I sitting here in Trellis Bay right now in the BVI aboard a TMM Charter Fountaine Pujot. Pretty cool as they have free wifi hotspots on all of their fleet and they let you sail to Anegada (where most others don't).

This is the second year we've used TMM. Call their office in Lake Geneva Wisconsin and ask for Barb or Karen. Nice folks.

lbertran

Member III
BVI Yacht Charters

We've used Sunsail, which worked out well. More recently we went with BVI Yacht Charters also out of Roadtown. Good service, brand new boat, reasonable rates.

Gregoryulrich

Member III
It's funny this thread came up. I was just looking at charter companies and ASA schools yesterday for a BVI trip in January. Do these companies require certification in order to rent?

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
It's funny this thread came up. I was just looking at charter companies and ASA schools yesterday for a BVI trip in January. Do these companies require certification in order to rent?

I know the one we use require you submit a sailing resume. If you've completed the ASA Bareboat Charter 104 you should be good to go..

We just returned back to the states last night. Wonderful place and worth every penny.

RedHerring

Member II
Qualifications required to sail in BVI are pretty minimal. Per my understanding, chartering outfits are simply looking for some sign that you may be able to drive the boat. Not necessarily a certification. A history of boat ownership works.

Then they watch you during the boat walkthrough and as you are getting out of the marina - if you look completely clueless, they'll suggest that you take a hired skipper for the first few days. Or so I was told by the charter company staff.