• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anyone in the LA Harbor area have AIS ?

Sven

Seglare
I'm trying to debug ours and was wondering if anyone with AIS around here can at least see us even if we can't see anyone ?

-Sven

paul culver

Member III
Not much help, but if you sail near Oceanside some time I can look for your signal. Can you get the Coast Guard or Bay Watch to help?

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Sven

Seglare
Thanks Paul.

Jim, I checked there too and I suspect they have a filter so that small boats don't show. I do see a couple of class B units but the boats are considerably larger than us ... now that I look again I don't see one of course. The same with the Google Earth plug-in, it shows the same data.

Thanks !

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
I do see a couple of class B units but the boats are considerably larger than us ... now that I look again I don't see one of course.

I think I found the explanation in the FAQ:

- Especially for vessels equipped with a Class-B AIS transponder, the transmission power of AIS signals is much lower than the power of a Class-A transponder and therefore the reception range in much more restricted

Our antenna is on the bimini frame and coupled with the lower output it probably just isn't visible wherever the landbased AIS stations are.

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
Our antenna is on the bimini frame and coupled with the lower output it probably just isn't visible wherever the landbased AIS stations are.

Well if it's any comfort, on the Haha cruise last year, the boat I crewed on had AIS, and we could see other Haha boats with AIS 70 miles or more away, and they could see us. The antenna was mounted in about the same place as yours.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sven you can actually drive right up to the Marine Exchange near the Angels Gate Cultural center above the Korean Bell at Friendship Park just off Gaffey, and I am sure they would be able to answer your question's. They are the one's on Channel 14. Been there very friendly folks.