• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Battery cables ... buy or buy tool to make ?

Sven

Seglare
As we're rewiring our batteries and installing a long run up to the electric windlass ...

Are we better off buying individually made custom cables (say 6-10 total) or buying cable stock and crimping tools ?

Both cost and QC are considerations. Remember that we want to be pretty self sufficient for months or years at a time too.

-Sven

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
FWIW I bought a used Nicopress tool on eBay 10 years ago and have recouped its cost many times. It's the "slow" kind that you tighten bolts down with using a closed-end wrench - not the "fast" kind that is basically a set of bolt cutters with a swaging jaw instead of a blade and for some reason can cost 10x as much.

http://www.sailrite.com/Nicopress-Installation-Tool

(This one is $29)

Works great for battery cables and non-critical wire-on-wire splices like my extra topping lift that holds the boom to the backstay. I wouldn't trust it for lifeline swages except in an emergency.

Edit: Nicopress, not Nicropress. Not to be confused with the manufacturer Nicro Fico.

Last edited:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Make your own!

Buy the wire and lugs at Icon (behind the West Marine in San Pedro). I don't know why, but they usually give me a Port Supply discount and I walk out with stuff dirt cheap (I don't ask why). They have all sizes of tinned copper Ancor Marine battery wire.(I usually pay less than 50% of West Marine prices for the same stuff).

Borrow my Ancor crimper. It works great with a 2.5 lb hammer, or in a vise. This works up to 4/0.

Edit: You'll probably pay less than 10 percent of ready-made cables, and your quality control will be better.

Another tip about West Marine: If you have a smart phone, download the RedLaser app. It scans barcodes and tells you the best prices available online. West Marine will rely on this to match prices, and I often save up to 50% on their non-WM-branded stuff.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Slightly faster is better.

Sven, A quick eBay search turned these little gems up: 330598048548, 320760669282 and 200648192573. I bought and crimped my own #00 copper cables that lead from the batteries in the port quarter up to the windlass and it was as simple as pie to do the crimps. Glyn

Maine Sail

Member III
Sven,

The FTZ crimper and heavy duty coded lugs are a great way to go. I have a source where you can get one for $149.00 and when you're done I am sure you can sell if for $125.00. Very often it is best to have the crimper right there when making the cables. If you want cheap cables Genuinedealz.com will make them for $1.00 per crimp, which is a steal but you need to measure VERY carefully.

Feel free to read this:

Making Your Own Battery Cables
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_cables

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Sven,

The FTZ crimper and heavy duty coded lugs are a great way to go. I have a source where you can get one for $149.00 and when you're done I am sure you can sell if for $125.00. Very often it is best to have the crimper right there when making the cables.

That's a great price, and much better than my hammer crimper. Easier to use--especially in tight quarters, and better crimp. The hammer crimper does a good job though, and I found mine for $29 at West Marine (open package discount). Still, I'd love to have the FTZ.

But definitely do your own cables. Measure twice or three times, and you'll still come up short. That, or you end up with miles of unnecessary cable in the circuit, which is the situation I inherited when I bought the boat. I like to make the cables in the boat, and I make the final cut and crimp with the cable already routed.

Sven

Seglare
Thanks !

Like I'll post in the other electrical thread ... awesome amount of good info !

Thanks to all !

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
FTZ crimper

I just got an answer back from Steve Chapman <schapman@kljack.com> (the company MainSail mentioned) and the price is now $159 plus shipping. Seems like a good way to go.

-Sven

Shamwari

Please Contact Admin.
buy a crimper

I bought one of the units where you put the wire and socket into it and then hit it with a hammer to make the crimp. I have used it many times over the years and it allows me to use quality ends. It's a Lenco anvil style. Indestructable and small to pack in the boat.

dwigle

Member III
Somebody will probably tell me why this wrong, but I usually get a snug fit, then using a small torch I solder them much like you would solder copper tubing. Finish it off with a short section of heat shrink tubing. No extra expense or storage for a tool I would rarely use.

Don

Sven

Seglare

I now have the crimper and am about to start following your instructions.

I went to genuinedealz.com to start putting together the shopping list. I couldn't find the "Power Lugs" you mention but assume they are the ones they call "Heavy Wall Copper Lugs" even if the pictures don't show the color coded markings ?

Any reason not to use the clear adhesive heat shrink tubing ? It might even be clear enough to let you see if there is any corrosion going on inside ?

Thanks !

-Sven

Maine Sail

Member III
I now have the crimper and am about to start following your instructions.

I went to genuinedealz.com to start putting together the shopping list. I couldn't find the "Power Lugs" you mention but assume they are the ones they call "Heavy Wall Copper Lugs" even if the pictures don't show the color coded markings ?

Any reason not to use the clear adhesive heat shrink tubing ? It might even be clear enough to let you see if there is any corrosion going on inside ?

Thanks !

-Sven

Sven,

Talk to Mike at GD about it. I believe the photo is just incorrect and they are selling the FTZ power lugs or "heavy wall" lugs. If not Phil at SaiboatOwners.com sells them too. http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?7267/Heavy+Duty+Power+Lugs

I've never used clear/adhesive on batt cables. I do put clear non-adhesivet over the MilSpec stuff I use, for a label such as this:

133735330.jpg

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Soldered Lugs

Don,
I'm with you, a crimper tool is just one more (heavy) tool to store and try to preserve from corroding. I carry a fuel torch, solder and use that kit for other applications. Bonus is you can literally do your crimping "in-sit-u" Nest the Lug upright in a set of vice grips such that the solder will pool in the right place, dip the cable end in flux and have at it. Then, conveniently, you have the torch right there to do the heat shrink sleeve.
Guaranteed you're going to get your length right and no worry aqbout corrosion in that connection, ever.
I do carry spare lugs aboard on the off-chance a cable ever got heavily damaged, simply cut, add two lugs/ bolted and you have a robust temporary repair.
My 2 cents

Sven

Seglare
Talk to Mike at GD about it. I believe the photo is just incorrect and they are selling the FTZ power lugs or "heavy wall" lugs.

Just got an answer from Mike (Nediano) who confirms that it is the color coded FTZ lugs they sell, he's just using an old stock photo on the web site.

I'll tell him you sent me :)

Thanks,

-Sven

Maine Sail

Member III
Awesome !

Just did the first one after pulling a bunch of wires in the AM.

The crimper and the lugs and the heat-shrink and so on all worked as advertised !

Even the pruning shears were perfect !!

Thanks a bunch.

-Sven

Just glad I could help & you're happy with the result!