• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Air Breeze generator noise ?

Sven

Seglare
I know the noise from Air-X wind generators is intolerable with the stock blades but I wonder if the Air Breeze ones are quieter ?

We're probably going to move to another slip to get away from a party-boat and the muzak usually played by the restaurant right behind us. Unfortunately the slip we are considering moving into has an Air Breeze generator on the neighboring boat. We've been by a few times even with the wind blowing and the Air Breeze has been spinning but absolutely quiet. Does the noise vary with charging load or has it just been too calm for the screeching wooooosh associated with the Air-X ? Or are the Air Breezes just quieter ?

We'd hate to move only to find out that we've jumped from one mess into another, even if we'll probably only be here for another 6 months.

Insights ?

Thanks.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Thanks Loren.

Yes, the Rutlands are very quiet. I've talked to a few owners and their only complaint has been that they don't put out as many amps as they had hoped, but otherwise they seem great.

The aftermarket blades are supposed to make even the Air-X quiet so maybe that's what this boat has.

-Sven

Spirit Moon

Member II
Quiet running wind generators

I have an AeroGen 4 mounted on my E38. It is very quiet to the point you won't hear it until you have 15 plus knots of wind and which point you won't hear it under sail because of the usual noises associated with sailing. You also won't hear it down below at any time as the noise is very subtle anyway. You will find wind generators don't put out supercharges and with any make they only trickle charge below 15 knots. That said, I find it useful on longer trips and don't have a lot electrical capacity issues. I run a full array of electronics, fridge and separate freezer, Spectra water maker. Of course not all that power comes via the Arogen. On long trips and times at anchor I will run the engine for an hour or two depending on what my consumption is. It is nice being at anchor when the wind is blowing through and knowing I'm using that to top up my batteries. I'll try to attach a pic of my unit.

Frank PotterView attachment 9608