• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 surfs like a champ!

paul culver

Member III
Heading down from Newport to my home port of Oceanside last Saturday, the last day of my annual SoCal Triangle tour, I heard a Notice to Mariners on the radio regarding closure of OSide harbor due to 12 to 16 foot breakers across the entrance. Technically, departures were prohibited but arrivals were discouraged and should be done with "extreme caution". Arriving at the entrance I was met by a lifeguard boat and though he didn't ban me he said he would be plucking the two of us out of the water if we tried to go in. We circled and studied the rhythm, noted that the swells were large and steep but not breaking in the left side of the channel. On full-throttle Atomic 4 and beam-reaching main we made a dash for it. I only looked back twice to confirm I was lined up with the swell but it was at least 12 feet with another one right behind it. Picked up incredible speed and then was delivered into the calm of the harbor. Home at last.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Heading down from Newport to my home port of Oceanside last Saturday, the last day of my annual SoCal Triangle tour, I heard a Notice to Mariners on the radio regarding closure of OSide harbor due to 12 to 16 foot breakers across the entrance. Technically, departures were prohibited but arrivals were discouraged and should be done with "extreme caution". Arriving at the entrance I was met by a lifeguard boat and though he didn't ban me he said he would be plucking the two of us out of the water if we tried to go in. We circled and studied the rhythm, noted that the swells were large and steep but not breaking in the left side of the channel. On full-throttle Atomic 4 and beam-reaching main we made a dash for it. I only looked back twice to confirm I was lined up with the swell but it was at least 12 feet with another one right behind it. Picked up incredible speed and then was delivered into the calm of the harbor. Home at last.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

All I can say is NICE! I did something like that before at Channel Islands Harbor but I was not on my Ericson. Way to go Paul! :egrin: