• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New California Fuel Container Woes

Sven

Seglare
Just like these wonderful new fuel jugs, the ones that encourage you to spill the fuel everywhere because the don't work

Tell me about it ! There is no way in h#ll you can fill a 1-liter outboard built-in fuel tank without spilling at least 1/2 a cup at the end. The designs are criminally stupid.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Is this the jug you refer to?

I'm referring to these monstrosities

Fuel can disaster.jpg

The spigot stores inside the can so it is dripping fuel when you open the can. When you pull the spigot out of the filler hose the fuel left in the spigot drains out all over the place. If you don't pull the spigot out fast enough the fuel just overflows the tank. Maybe you aren't supposed to put the spigot in the tank but then you have to try to aim the flow freehand.

It is just a disaster.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Just like these wonderful new fuel jugs, the ones that encourage you to spill the fuel everywhere because the don't work, and well no one thought about the fact that people only have 2 hands not 4 when they were designed!

Guy
:)

I just take the nozzle off and use a long funnel (it's like 30" I would guess). Hardly ever spill a drop now.

To add fuel to my 4hp outboard internal tank, I just disconnect the fitting at the end of the hose external tank and use the squeeze ball pump to fuel into the internal outboard tank.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
It doesn't mater what color they are on the outside... They are all turd brown just below the surface!

Sven

Seglare
I just take the nozzle off and use a long funnel (it's like 30" I would guess). Hardly ever spill a drop now.

To add fuel to my 4hp outboard internal tank, I just disconnect the fitting at the end of the hose external tank and use the squeeze ball pump to fuel into the internal outboard tank.

Good ideas !

I wonder if there is a 1 or 2 gallon external tank with a ball pump hose one could use as a spare gas tank in place of the red monstrosities ?

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Good ideas !

I wonder if there is a 1 or 2 gallon external tank with a ball pump hose one could use as a spare gas tank in place of the red monstrosities ?

-Sven

I just recently down sized from a 6 gal like the one in the back of this pic to a 3 gal like the one in the foreground. I don't think I have seen anything smaller. I think any thing less would be too small. Sven does your outboard have a connection for a external tank?

The deck fill for my diesel tank on my E-27 is on the port side of the cockpit deck. I purchased that long funnel I have very soon after I tried tipping one of those 5 gal diesel Jerry cans to top off fuel. I also try to use a Baja Filter funnel when ever I can. That requires a slow pour because the filter is so fine.

My 6 gal outboard tank is for sale for $20 if anyone is interested. Sorry, no hose and squeeze pump included.

Attachments

• fuel-tanks.jpg
    fuel-tanks.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 631

Mikebat

Member III
Tell me about it ! There is no way in h#ll you can fill a 1-liter outboard built-in fuel tank without spilling at least 1/2 a cup at the end.

Of course there is. Remove the adult-proof cap and pour into the fuel tank with a funnel. I am aware of no regulation that requires me, the end-user, to use a broken fill cap, even if it is required to be sold with the can. I am, however, aware of regulations requiring me to take care not to spill fuel into the water. To that end, I eschew the adult-proof cap.

Blue Chip

Member III
Of course there is. Remove the adult-proof cap and pour into the fuel tank with a funnel. I am aware of no regulation that requires me, the end-user, to use a broken fill cap, even if it is required to be sold with the can. I am, however, aware of regulations requiring me to take care not to spill fuel into the water. To that end, I eschew the adult-proof cap.

I swiched to this thing recently, and it is a LOT beter than the two prviously pictured, but you may need a third hand if you have a can any bigger than 2 and a half gallons....two to hold and one to PUSH THE BUTTON!

Attachments

• SPARE 001.jpg
    SPARE 001.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 62
  • SPARE 002.jpg
    SPARE 002.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 56
  • SPARE 003.jpg
    SPARE 003.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 68

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Fuel transfering

When it comes to moving fuel from a Jerry Can into the deck fill on a sailboat, the "rattle ball syphon" is the best idea I have ever found. I bought one over a decade ago at a local chandlers and they still sell 'em.
I asked Mr Google about it and quickly found this link:
http://www.tackletogo.com/syphonmate.html

The fuel can stays upright, no (or very little from a last dribble from the hose when done) fuel is spilled. My back is just not up to lifting and pouring from a full five gallon container of diesel any more.
You do have to coil up the empty hose-and-valve and store in something like a larger zip-lock bag. I store this and the little plastic bottle of diesel bug killer in one place in a stern storage locker.

I would guess that most of the cruisers in our club have one of these on board.

Loren

ps: edit: I moved the fuel container concerns to their own new thread. This leaves the acetone thread as was, with its own focus.

Attachments

• yhst-88304367457143_2166_73375732.gif
    yhst-88304367457143_2166_73375732.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
When it comes to moving fuel from a Jerry Can into the deck fill on a sailboat, the "rattle ball syphon" is the best idea I have ever found. I bought one over a decade ago at a local chandlers and they still sell 'em.
I asked Mr Google about it and quickly found this link:
http://www.tackletogo.com/syphonmate.html

The fuel can stays upright, no (or very little from a last dribble from the hose when done) fuel is spilled. My back is just not up to lifting and pouring from a full five gallon container of diesel any more.
You do have to coil up the empty hose-and-valve and store in something like a larger zip-lock bag. I store this and the little plastic bottle of diesel bug killer in one place in a stern storage locker.

I would guess that most of the cruisers in our club have one of these on board.

Loren

Wow, thanks Loren! I am getting one of those asap! :egrin:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
The jug like is in Sven's picture is horrible.

But in the model in mherrcat's picture, there is a plastic piece inside the spout designed to require two hands to open the valve, and to lock shut when the pressure is taken off. It can be popped out/broken off, allowing the valve to be operated reasonably nicely with one hand.