• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Acetone in California ?

Sven

Seglare
The guy at the chandler told us today that Acetone can no longer be sold in California. He said there were a few new prohibited items and that a paint shop up in San Pedro got fined $5,000 for selling a gallon of acetone to an undercover agent.

We deal with this guy all the time and he definitely wasn't kidding us but I find it really hard to believe that acetone has been outlawed :0

Is there more to the story or is it really true !?

-Sven

newpbs

Member III
Nail Polish Remover

Sounds like there is more to the story.

In the mean time, how will the ladies remove their nail polish???

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Really?

As widely used as acetone is, this would be news all over the web. According to Google, there are some threads dating to '07 about a proposed ban on chemicals with high VOC's and acetone is mentioned. Old threads.
If this was happening now, it would be big news.
Lacquer thinner contains acetone, IIRC, and there are no stories about banning that common chemical.

I think that this may be a busted myth.

Anyone else??
Class? Bueller?!

:confused:

Loren

Sven

Seglare
If this was happening now, it would be big news.
Lacquer thinner contains acetone, IIRC, and there are no stories about banning that common chemical.

I agree. It seems really odd and I did google searches too.

Maybe he has a prankster side that we haven't seen in the prior two years of spending money with his help.

We'll probably see him on Monday again so we can ask if he was just making it up, but it sure didn't seem like it.

-Sven

AleksT

Member III
I have heard that Los Angeles County is trying to ban things like lacquer thinner. Don't know how close they are to succeeding.

Guy Stevens

You can get it at the hardware in the bay area

You can get Acetone at the hardware here in the bay area.

Sounds like something else was going on here. Were the next words out of his mouth; "Since YOU can't buy the stuff, we had better do the job for you?"

Guy
:)

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Acetone In California

I just bought some Acetone last week. Because Acetone is used in the manufacturing of Crack Cocaine the fine, if there was a paint store that was fined, could be connected to drugs.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I just bought some in San Pedro about a month ago. But I'm not the agent. Guess I'm gonna go back to that same hardware store and see if they no longer sell it. If the do, I'm stocking up. :egrin:

Glyn Judson

Acetone availability.

Jeff, The problem you and everyone else is having is that you're asking for the wrong thing. You should be asking for Ace Tone. ; - ) We went out sailing today for the entire afternoon. Flat seas and light wind allowed us to slice through the water at between 4 and 5 knots. It was a delightful day but I'll swear it took us longer to get off the boat than it took to get on. Cheers, Glyn

Sven

Seglare
We went back and asked our "guy" if he was pulling our leg(s ?).

He said no, it is a new California regulation and then took me back to show the "green" lacquer thinner that they are supposed to sell in place of what they used to carry. He didn't show the replacement for acetone.

At this point I am not sure what to think. Does anyone know of a site that lists new California EPA-style regulations ?

I believe our friend but think there must be some missing info or spinning going on to slant the story.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
There's apparently something to it. If you check this link

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=85&prodid=252

you'll see the restriction "Klean-Strip® Lacquer Thinner for California is intended only for the thinning of industrial maintenance coatings. It is not intended to be sold or used for any other purpose."

and this one

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=85&prodid=39

in both products regulatory data sheet you'll find "Future Limits: California (state) and SCAQMD".

Then I found this which summarizes what is going on:

http://woodfinishings.wordpress.com...for-lacquer-thinners-in-the-south-coast-area/

and that page also points to the specific ruling which is at

http://www.aqmd.gov/rules/reg/reg11/r1143.pdf

So our friend was not smoking anything and while it seems to be rolling out quietly there is definitely a move afoot.

-Sven

Guy Stevens

Wow that sucks!

Again we replace something that works with something that doesn't. So now it has 1/2 the amount of VOC's in it, but you have to use 6 times as much for it to work. Sounds like the politicians are hard at work on learning Math again!

Just like these wonderful new fuel jugs, the ones that encourage you to spill the fuel everywhere because the don't work, and well no one thought about the fact that people only have 2 hands not 4 when they were designed!

Guy
:)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I just talked to the paint department at one of my favorite hardware stores in Downey, CA "All American Home Center" and they said they still have it available. When I asked if it would be banned any time soon he could not answer that but he did say that they are going after some solvents and that it may be reformulated at some point but did not know when. So if you want any you can get it here. I also checked the Home Depot web site and they still list it as available. I am pretty sure they still have it at True Value Hardware on Pacific Ave. in San Pedro as well.

All American Home Center:

http://www.doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID=51&transaction=search&postalCode=90280&radius=20

I also just had my house painted and I noticed that the painter's were using it.

So stock up now! :egrin:

Sven

Seglare
So now it has 1/2 the amount of VOC's in it, but you have to use 6 times as much for it to work.

I had to go back and check the article to confirm that it is not 1/2, it is 1/24th. It used to be 600 g/liter. That got reduced to 300 g/liter in 2010. On 1-1-2011 it was reduced to 25 g/liter.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
So stock up now! :egrin:

But be aware that per http://woodfinishings.wordpress.com...for-lacquer-thinners-in-the-south-coast-area/

the new ruling stating that you have to keep records of where you bought your materials and the retailers from whom you bought your materials have to keep record of who they sold materials to.

I see the record keeping requirement spelled out against the distributor and retailer, but I don't see it against the end consumer, but I may be reading the ruling wrong.

-Sven