• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Racer's gratitude

Bob in Va

Member III
Now that our fall racing season has finished for me, I'd like to thank forum members who contributed answers and information to questions, some of them mine, regarding racing. Morgan is to be especially recognized for his detailed and thoughtful explanations. Many times on the water I thought of things he wrote, and often the changes he suggested made my boat (and me) faster. We went from middle or back of the pack to leading several legs of the last couple of races. I can't wait for the spring series to begin in '04. There were so many things I had to learn the hard way, but found in every instance that the old masters are right. This is the most fun I have had in a very long time - thanks again for abetting this old codger's second childhood.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I agree completely. Morgan's advice is complete and yet concise.

Please Note that your same messge appeared 4 times... I deleted the 3 of the copies...
First time I have ever tried to use my "powers" as a moderator. I hope you do not mind.

Loren

Bob,

Thanks for your kind words. Made my day. Sailing is an ongoing learning experience. I suppose that is what makes it so intriguing. But let me tell you about how this "old master" (age 67) did last weekend. I had an Olympic sailing coach on board as one of a crew of four, and we started a 60-mile race with a cruising chute up. My Ericson 27 was the smallest boat in the race--Tampa to Clearwater--and the big guys soon left us eating their dust. About half way, already through the Sunshine Skyway and in lower Tampa Bay, we went to gybe the chute and ended up with it wrapped so tightly around the headstay that we had to start the engine to get it unwrapped. Withdrawal City. On the way back to the dock, which was but a few miles away, the coach showed me how to better lead my 155% gennie. Why didn't I think of that? I dunno. He did, and I am thankful for that. Still learning after all these years.

Best,

Morgan

Bob in Va

Member III
That's one of the best parts of it

There is always someone who can teach you something you don't know, and if you are eager to learn, your curve can still be steep. There are some pretty good life lessons, too. In one race a few weeks ago I was dead last after turning the windward mark, and a dying wind meant the leaders walked away from me using what was left of the wind. I was pretty discouraged, but Pat said. "be patient, sail the boat, worry only about what we can control." I remembered that some of the local old-timers seemed to like getting close to the southern shoreline in those conditions in earlier races, so figuring we had nothing to lose we eased over there (ease is the appropriate word as the knotmeter varied from 0.2 to 0.8). The quarter mile gap seemed to lessen a bit, and we gradually caught up and eventually used the slant to gain speed as we approached the mark on a diagonal. We caught and passed the other boats in our class and looked like winners as we headed for the finish line about 20 yards up course, still ghosting along. About 5 feet from the line, a powerboat wake stopped us dead, and we began to drift backward. Several minutes later one of our competitors inched over the line, and a minute and a half after that we crossed in second place. So my emotions went from consternation that we would finish last to elation that we would win to frustration/consolation with second place. Lesson: One should refrain from enumerating the summation of poultry until the final process of incubation has been completed.

escapade

Inactive Member
Ah, yes. Half a day to learn how make the boat move and the rest of your life learning to be good at it. Haven't we all had to learn Bob's lesson the hard way. Keep up the good work & sail fast!
Bud E34 "Escapade"