Yacht Specialties pedestal mystery hardware

peaman

Sustaining Member
On my steering pedestal, there is a round-head bolt about 7-1/4" below the steering wheel spindle. What is that bolt for?

I'm hoping it no longer has a function and can be removed, as it interferes with a fitting for a new wheel pilot.

IMG_2874.JPG

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You could look through the YS/Merriman material in the archives, and see if the diagrams show any interior fitting tht might match that.

On my 32-3 Yacht Specialties pedestal there was nothing in that location.

1204120931a.jpg

Parrothead

Member III
On the Edson pedestal, in the exact same location it's the fastener for the clamp that holds the shift and throttle cables. I'm betting it's the same on yours.

Parrothead

Member III
(YS wheel nut says "YS")
If the comment was for my benefit or education, I was aware the pedestal described in the opening post was a Yacht Specialties product and I did not intend to imply otherwise. However, with the presence of an engine control head visible in the picture, the cables must be secured inside the pedestal. The position of the fastener and distance from the control head suggests it might be for that purpose. As best as I can recall, Yacht Specialties used a different type of cable bracket but with the scarcity of original parts it's possible a previous owner or repairman may have Frankensteined a repair using a different brand and design part.

If peaman reports back with what he finds, only then will we know for sure.

peaman

Sustaining Member
On the Edson pedestal, in the exact same location it's the fastener for the clamp that holds the shift and throttle cables. I'm betting it's the same on yours.
I replaced my cables last year without touching that bolt. The cables are attached to the section which has the operating levers, but otherwise pass unobstructed through the pedestal column itself. Nothing about the pedestal strikes me as "Frankensteined" in any way. I'll double-check, but I'm pretty sure the nut has "YS" on its face.

Looks like I may need to open the pedestal again to see what's inside.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's just about confirming identity of the pedestal. The picture seems to show a Merriman nut, which has a ship's wheel design. Otherwise more or less same as YS, as far as I know.

Edson parts are unfortunately not compatible with YS/Merriman.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Upon further investigation...

First image shows my wheel nut, with the "YS" between the spokes of the ship's wheel design, which should confirm that I have a Yacht Specialties pedestal and NOT a Merriman?

IMG_2876.JPG

The second image shows a clamp assembly on the aft/wheel side of the pedestal (at left in the photo), which must be what Parrothead referred to. As I said, the engine and tranny cables are unsecured within the pedestal, so the clamp assembly is unused. As seen in the third image, those cables connect to the lever fittings in the forward part of the pedestal, or opposite the wheel side. It would seem that keeping the cables forward of the chain and wire of the steering mechanism would reduce the chance of chaffing and interference. At the base of the pedestal, deck level, there is a small opening in the forward part through which the cables easily pass, as well as the wiring for compass lamp and wheelpilot motor. There is another small opening in the aft part of the base which is in line with the mystery clamp, but which is presently unused. Until recent changes, a bundle of wires exited that aft opening and passed very close to the steering cable, sheave and quadrant, an arrangement that looked less than ideal to me.

So the big question is: is the any reason to change the present arrangement of wiring and control cables within my steering pedestal? Should those cables pass through the clamp on the wheel-side interior of the pedestal?

IMG_2877.JPG

IMG_2880.JPG

Parrothead

Member III
Yes, that is the cable clamp style I remembered on Yacht Specialties pedestals but in defense of my earlier posts, after all these years with who knows what repairs might have been done and a single machine screw head to go on, I was only suggesting possibilities.

Is the part I've circled in your picture what the mystery machine screw holds? The relative position suggests to me it is. If true, compare it to the second picture in this post which is the Edson clamp. You can see why I considered an early possibility.Yacht Specialties pedestal.jpg
Edson Cable clamp.jpg

peaman

Sustaining Member
Your red circle does circumscribe the clamp, but it is clearly different from the clamp you show separatly. Where your image shows three holes, there is only one round openings through my clamp. The opposite side of my clamp (port side) looks like it could accomodate one or more smaller cables, or wires, but not a larger cable like the opening seen in my image.

Note also, the chain which passes between the clamp on the left and the throttle cable on the right. If the throttle cable were routed to the clamp, I would expect the chain to chafe the cable. I'm inclined to leave the clamp alone, keep my cables and wiring as I have them, and arrange my wheelpilot spindle around the bolt, unless I hear a compelling argument otherwise. If, in the future, I dismatle the pedestal entirely, I think I'll look for a way to provide positive separation between steering gear and wiring and engine controls.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You can check the YS/Merriman Installation Manual, here:

Disassembly photos here: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/yacht-specialties-pedestal-disassembly-with-photos.14133/

As far as I know, the cables just hang there in my pedestals. Compass wire also. It has not been a problem.

Parrothead

Member III
The position of the cable clamp is directly related to the mechanical configuration of the engine control head. Yacht Specialties control heads have the cable attachments on the forward side of the pedestal, Edsons on the aft. I've never done it but I've read of Edson control heads grafted onto Yacht Specialties pedestals which requires the cables to be on the aft (wheel) side of the pedestal.

The good news is you figured out what the mystery screw is about.