Windlass on 1983 30+

csoule13

Member III
A happy belated Thanksgiving to y'all.

Both the Captain and occasional first mate of S/v Discovery have been forced to come to the conclusion that the days of hauling the anchor up without mechanical assistance are behind us. Given the flimsy hatch and the anchor pan set up on the 30+, I would think this would be a more complicated process than just cutting a hole and running some wiring. I think I saw something in GOB on a different boat, they cut the hatch in half, making the front half a permanent solid structure.

So, two part question - has anyone undergone this effort successfully? And if not/it isn't worth the trouble, are there work arounds? I recall seeing a Cape Dory 27 a few years ago that had the anchor rode run back to the cockpit through some hard conduit on the cabin top, and then a winch. Without self-tailing winches, I'm not sure if this wouldn't be trading one problem for another.

Thoughts/suggestions/additional reading all appreciated.

-Chris(and, begrudgingly, Capt. Mark)

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Hi Chris,

These are the links on windlass installation that I've sandbagged thus far:

There are others that deal more specifically with the lid and tub. Let me know if you'd like those.

All the best to you and Capt. Mark,
Jeff

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
if not/it isn't worth the trouble, are there work arounds?

How much do you anchor overnight in unprotected conditions? On the Chesapeake you probably don't need much chain, you might only need minimal anchor size for casual anchoring, you may have to have a stern anchor too for some anchorages (no windlass for that), and so on. And a light lunch hook for, uh, lunch.

It is possible to talk yourself out of a windlass, as I have. The argument is usually short--you either need a windlass or you don't. It's better if you don't. Speak sternly to yourself, but if you get any lip back, listen. He may have a point.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Another thing to consider is if the windlass malfunctions for some reason, can you still raise the anchor manually? I recall an older guy (my age now :( ) who couldn't get the anchor and chain raised when his malfunctioned. We had to go help.
Frank

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
More on the consideration of windlass or no: I have a vertical windlass on my Tartan 37 and really appreciate it. I generally do a lot of longer distance multiple day cruises with this boat and am at anchor most every time I take the boat out. I cruised this boat for a couple years and found that when I was in an unfamiliar anchorage it was nice to be able to move the anchor if I picked the wrong spot or if the wind changed. Maine and the other places I cruise the Tartan have rocky bottoms and some unpredictable weather patterns. I use a long (too long) all chain rode and a 35lb and it is really too much for me to handle at 75. A windlass is valuable to me in this situation, though they are not trouble free and can easily be abused and destroyed.
HOWEVER. I have an Ericson 32-200 that I generally daysail and do overnights in places in SF Bay in soft mud and near coastal harbors and have decided not to bother with a windlass. I have a Danforth and a Fortress anchor that are relatively light, but adequate for anything I would need--I have been in 30knot anchorages and had no problem. I use about 30' feet of chain on a nylon rode on the Ericson and it really is not such a big deal to motor up to it and then pull the anchor out with the rode snubbed on a cleat when I am directly over it. Then the only back work is pulling the anchor up after it has broken out of the bottom and stowing it. I have not yet done it but I always figured that I could lead the nylon rode back to a winch (though a snatch block) if I really wanted a winch to help lift things in this arrangement.
The complications of a windlass are substantial with wiring, installation and maintenance, so I have chose simplicity on the Ericson. My point is that a windlass can be useful but the costs in terms of maintenance and complexity are worth thinking through in how you use the boat. i will say that learning to use whatever system you decide to install requires some practice to become efficient and safe. Windlasses do not solve all your problems and my early mistakes led to my having to rebuild mine once because I misused it. FWIW.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
A twice ruptured disc and 8 months of physical threrapy and still unable to walk means this 70 year old requires a windless for continued coastal sailing and anchoring.,

csoule13

Member III
Captain Mark has chimed in, but yeah, we're both in a spot where if we end up back at physical therapy with "So, yeah, I was raising my anchor in 20 kts...." they're just going to kick us out. We've sailed way past the horizon of should I/shouldn't I into this is required gear given the limitations of captain and crew.

Thanks for the links and the chatter - hadn't crossed my mind that the various Ericsons all have similar anchor pan set ups. Given the limited area up on the bow of the 30+, installing something under the lid is intriguing. Much appreciated everyone.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I have found that a primary winch works pretty well for pulling the anchor if the rode is mostly line. I was single-handed and unexpectedly needed to pull into an anchorage to wait out a squall. Other than some muddy water on deck, it worked nicely. I tied a rolling hitch onto the rode with a spare line to the port bow cleat in order to take the load off of the rode, walked the lazy end of the rode back to the stbd primary and it was ready to go.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
@mjsouleman @csoule13
Mark and Chris,
I got an email from Mauripro listing cyberMonday sales on Lewmar, Maxwell, and Vetus windlasses, 35%. I've found that when they do a sale, it tends to be a worthwhile price. You might have to dig a little to find one right for you and on sale.
FWIW, Jeff