Winch upgrade

Shu

Member II
Hello. I'm definitely into my winter boat tinkering and have decided to upgrade my jib winches on my E29 from the 4" that I believe are the original Barlow to 5" stainless Barient winches, mostly because the Barlows are just plain wore out. The port side winch is easy to deal with but the starboard side is inaccessible. They used threaded inserts on that side. I am considering cutting an access port adjacent in the cockpit and covering with some sort of nice hatch cover. Before I do this I wanted to get any feedback that might be a better way of addressing.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hello. I'm definitely into my winter boat tinkering and have decided to upgrade my jib winches on my E29 from the 4" that I believe are the original Barlow to 5" stainless Barient winches, mostly because the Barlows are just plain wore out. The port side winch is easy to deal with but the starboard side is inaccessible. They used threaded inserts on that side. I am considering cutting an access port adjacent in the cockpit and covering with some sort of nice hatch cover. Before I do this I wanted to get any feedback that might be a better way of addressing.

I have not worked on an E-29, but would only advise you to upgrade to Self Tailing winches if the boat does not have those.

LB

Shu

Member II
Thanks Loren. I had a feeling I'd get that advice, I know it's true. My problem is I spent all my mason jar money fixing and upgrading since I bought her. I know, get used to it. I'm thoroughly attached to this boat now. I found the stainless winches for pretty cheap, 250, and they're in great shape, just need to be re greased. Maybe I could save these and mount them on top when I re rig the halyards to run back to the cockpit and sell a few of my kids to buy the self tailers. Naw. I'm pretty attached to them too. Well, I'll ponder on it.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Dunno... I've gotten so used to the old winches on my boat that I almost forget how to use a self-tailer when I encounter one. The urge for that upgrade gradually went away. Once in a while I don't get a sheet stuffed into a jam cleat well enough and the jib pops loose in a gust... :0

BTW: The access port for the starboard side winches on my boat is up above the quarter berth. The "high side" of the liner runs below the starboard coaming and there is a 4" deck plate that you open and reach in. You'd never see it unless you crawl back in there and turn over. It's midway between the primary and secondary winches, so there is still an awkward reach in all cases, but at least you can get in there.

This was in place when I bought the boat. I later had to add one in the transom, to get at the traveller mounting bolts. These things must either have been bolted on before the deck was joined to the hull, or they had a trained chimpanzee to get back into those cavities.

Shu

Member II
Well, you guys got me thinkin. I decided to bring the originals home to my shop and operate on them. The port side was pretty well froze due to oxidation so I re ground and wet sanded that side. The other was in good shape mostly but both had grease that looked like rancid peanut butter. I think I'll put em back in use till I make up my mind. Thanks for the feedback gents.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plan B or... C ...

One thing worth keeping mind if you have or can score a deal on some older big standard winches is the high quality ST upgrade from this guy.
I have met him at SailExpo and looked at the machining. It's good quality.
http://www.winchmate.com

Loren