Water pump replacement?

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Thoughts about raw water intake restrictions damaging impellers is a good diagnosis! Good engineering thinking Ray and everyone else. I added a relatively large Groco sea strainer to my M18 because I wanted a metal housing and a clear inspection body. My friends say it would fit a destroyer or maybe a heavy cruiser. However! I know my raw water pump will has a good supply of water at start up. That is if the inlet port isn't completely clogged.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I added a Groco (3/4" size piping) strainer to our boat a long time ago. Cleaned it out a couple days ago - annual duty.
It is about a foot from the engine water supply seacock.
Well built and easy to service. (EY had not installed a strainer on the boat when built.)

dxulander

Member I
The Oberdorfer N202-M15 has 3/8" NPT ports, the N202-M16 has 1/2" NPT ports. Other than that, I think they are identical. Pump technical drawings used to be available at https://www.pumpsandpartsonline.com...ber-impeller-pumps-parts/rubber-impeller-pump.

Seems that bronze NPT fittings are only made in 1/2" and larger, so, yeah, the 3/8" fittings are hard to work with. You have to get creative--jam a too-large fitting into the required hose; make hose butt-splices with different size hoses; use threaded pipe nipples (in bronze, stainless, or copper) instead of barb fittings. Here is one of my "adjustments:"

View attachment 47979
Here's the money shot, thanks to your advice here. New pump, new bronze elbow adapter.

raw water pump replacement.png

e38 owner

Member III
I added the forespar strainer seems to work well. I replaced the pump a few years back with the larger capacity model and recently added the larger heat exchanger when the orginal bit the dust. cooling is much improved with the above refinements

Last edited:

dxulander

Member I
I added the forespar strainer seems to work well. I replaced the pump a few years back with the larger capacity model and recently added the larger heat exchanger when the orginal bit the dust. cooling is much improved with the above refinements
Completely hijacking the tread: when you did your heat exchanger, did you do it yourself? Did you have to bleed your coolant after refilling it?

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
I know we're not supposed to mix metals and that brass is not good (except for lamps, bells, etc). That face plate on the pump looks like our new pump, and sure looks like brass to me. Does anyone here have knowledge of its composition?
Thanks, Jeff

ConchyDug

Member III
Hmm might be, we have so much sediment in the water here the faceplates get grooved out and I have to re-face them. The Moyer pump I have has an o-ring groove on it now so flipping it isn't really an option like the stainless Yanmar pump covers. So I treat them as a wear replacement item.