Water flakes?

Solarken

Member II
Now I have a new issue… white pieces floating in fresh water. Calcium? Left the tank emptied in rough seas. Guess the bit in there scrubbed the bottom of the tank.
ideas to clear up at sea? thank you

I used a good filter on the fresh water pumped in from another boat. It was clear and clean even before the GE filter.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmmm.
If your boat has an aluminum fresh water tank (which AFAIK Ericson never installed, you can easily get aluminum oxide "white grit" in the whole system. I know this because Hunter installed aluminum tanks for everything (!) in the 80's and the corrosion was awful.

Back in the world of Ericson's for minute, I did find a measurable quantity of gritty white alum. oxide inside our OEM water heater tank when I removed it many years ago and threw it away. This was getting into the hot water lines and into the sinks, but not really very noticeable; probably because we did not spend any time at sea stirring it up. I replaced that tank with one with a SS inner tank.

Solarken

Member II
Hmmm.
If your boat has an aluminum fresh water tank (which AFAIK Ericson never installed, you can easily get aluminum oxide "white grit" in the whole system. I know this because Hunter installed aluminum tanks for everything (!) in the 80's and the corrosion was awful.

Back in the world of Ericson's for minute, I did find a measurable quantity of gritty white alum. oxide inside our OEM water heater tank when I removed it many years ago and threw it away. This was getting into the hot water lines and into the sinks, but not really very noticeable; probably because we did not spend any time at sea stirring it up. I replaced that tank with one with a SS inner tank.
Well, I believe my tank is stainless steel. Probably in the original tank from Ericson. I’ve never had any problem with anything coming out of the tank. I’ve always put in clean fresh water through a filter a good filter so I am in a real mystery point here. Thank you for your ideas though, I’m just wondering how to clean it up I can’t dump all my water and refill it out. You’re in the ocean. I’m certainly not gonna put salt water in it to rinse it. Just thinking out loud here.

Solarken

Member II
Well, I believe my tank is stainless steel. Probably in the original tank from Ericson. I’ve never had any problem with anything coming out of the tank. I’ve always put in clean fresh water through a filter a good filter so I am in a real mystery point here. Thank you for your ideas though, I’m just wondering how to clean it up I can’t dump all my water and refill it out. You’re in the ocean. I’m certainly not gonna put salt water in it to rinse it. Just thinking out loud here.
Other than a little flakes or chunks the water is perfectly clear and smells and tastes fine. I just don’t like the idea of drinking a little chunks of something.