Wanted: Ericson 25 (Centerboard Model)

Sufficient

If you know someone nervous about parting with their loved E25, I'm willing to travel for the right boat. I've replaced some deck coring and, I'm not excited about doing it again-- at the very least I'm looking for something genuinely solid.

It has to be Centerboard, not water damaged, largely complete, and needs a trailer that doesn't require imagination to make it back to Michigan.

Thankfully they made a few of these but, even still, I realize that what I'm looking for is unusual. I expect this search to be measured in months if not years, so let me know if you have a line on something.

Sufficient

Oops. It just occurred to me that the title indicates I'm looking for a centerboard, instead of a particular flavor of Ericson: E25 (Centerboard). Moderators, feel free to add some parenthesis to my title.

klb67pgh

Member III
I messaged this seller yesterday to see if he had more pics of the E25 CB he is selling that is a twin to mine.

Sufficient

I messaged this seller yesterday to see if he had more pics of the E25 CB he is selling that is a twin to mine.

It even appears to have the lifting rudder setup which would be pretty cool. Sounds like they don't have a trailer though?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Note that you can click on a person's screen name to get a choice to send them a private message. "Start Conversation"

Sufficient

Note that you can click on a person's screen name to get a choice to send them a private message. "Start Conversation"

Good call.

How much are you willing to pay for one with a roadworthy trailer?
My buying power isn't likely to convince anyone who isn't already considering selling. "How much" would have to be a function of the condition of the boat and equipment. I get the impression $4000 should get you a boat in above average shape that is more than theoretically useable. I could imagine spending more on a boat that's well above average with an impressive sail inventory or something else that makes it stand out. ...but probably not for a couple months, I've got a wedding coming up in September.

The 40+ year old sailboat market is a weird place. I ended up letting a pretty nice and solid Chrysler 26 go last year for less than the trailer -- with new brakes, wheels/tires, LED lighting, sanded and painted -- should have gone for. I had a couple grand and probably a couple hundred hours in the boat. In hindsight, I should have kept it.

Sufficient

Here's a fairly rough one with supposedly recoverable title issues:

Sitting on the flat bunks of that powerboat trailer is a bit troubling... it's just too much of a project for me one way or the other.

Speaking of a project, I acquired a 2006 Four Saildrive 280 (complete with fuel tank, panel, throttle and even manuals), all pretty much like new. Supposedly only used four times. I've got the lower unit cleaned up and checked over. Someone put o-rings on the drain and sight plugs and although they work that way, they have no groove and can be squished out so I can't imagine that's what was there originally. The prop was slightly loose on the splined output shaft which I don't love but might be normal; there's what looks like a thick bushing behind the prop which would lead me to believe that it's intended to have no preload but it's hard to believe it's not roller thrust bearings... I can't find specs or procedure for the propeller nut; I gather the older MB2-50S (that you can get a PDF FSM for) was a pin drive prop.

Either way, I sort of hate outboards and if I'm not mistaken, it looks like this small saildrive could be slotted into an E25 just fine:

Attachments

• 20230821_204101.jpg
    20230821_204101.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 9