USB PORTS ?

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Have you wired direct for USB ports? What works best?
Cigarette plug with adapter was used before... not good.
New wiring going in and want to update.
Pictures always help.
Thanks

peaman

Sustaining Member
Cigarette plug with adapter was used before... not good.
How was this not good? I did major work on my DC wiring last year and it included a cigar lighter mainly for the purpose of USB (also for a small inverter). I had to shop around to find a 20 amp lighter socket, but I have had no problem using USB ports on a cigar lighter plug.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Agree. The wiring to the panel breaker is direct. And I can remove the double USB insert and use the cigar lighter for my laptop charger.

I need to have one foot in the past at all times, and not just for appliance wires.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
My experience with cigarette lighter plugs is that the good ones have a detent to lock them in place. The cheap ones don't lock into place and are prone to lose contact.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Maybe kind of a peripheral issue, but some research seems to show that the West Marine USB Outlet version (that I installed) is the default standard 2.1 amp. And, that this may Not be enough to charge an iPhone or other modern phone. Does anyone here have any information about this?

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I went with this dual port one from Blue Sea Systems. It has a 4.8A rating and will/may/should/might charge certain devices more quickly. (I haven't done a side-by-side comparison so I can't say.)

I still kept the cigarette lighter socket for occasional use for devices that require it, but for charging my iPad and phone I always use the Blue Sea dedicated USB sockets.

Last edited:

dhill

Member III
I installed this dual USB port unit on my boat, which has worked well, which I wired directly. The higher amp rating is nice for faster charging. This unit charges phones and tablets much faster than the 2.0A unit that I had before. No doubt the 4.8A @Alan Gomes is recommending would be even faster.

I would not recommend using a cigar or cigarette socket - I have found them to be very unreliable.

AlanO

Member II
I also got a cigarette lighter socket charger for a USB hub (cheapo Amazon purchase). It seemed to work fine with a relatively fast charge, but I have recently stopped using this device because I am not sure what voltage the USB hub is charging at and don't have the packaging/specs for the hub. I'm concerned that it is at a voltage my devices (phone, tablet, bluetooth speaker) aren't equipped to handle. I suspect this is something it is more economical to spend a little more on at the front end to make sure it has an adequate built-in transformer than on the back-end for a phone battery that dies prematurely. I recently replace my relatively ancient, 5 YO android phone because the battery wouldn't hold a charge for very long anymore. Not sure if boat charging was a contributor, but I'm hoping I can make the new phone last that long.

paul culver

Member III
I also got a cigarette lighter socket charger for a USB hub (cheapo Amazon purchase). It seemed to work fine with a relatively fast charge, but I have recently stopped using this device because I am not sure what voltage the USB hub is charging at and don't have the packaging/specs for the hub. I'm concerned that it is at a voltage my devices (phone, tablet, bluetooth speaker) aren't equipped to handle. I suspect this is something it is more economical to spend a little more on at the front end to make sure it has an adequate built-in transformer than on the back-end for a phone battery that dies prematurely. I recently replace my relatively ancient, 5 YO android phone because the battery wouldn't hold a charge for very long anymore. Not sure if boat charging was a contributor, but I'm hoping I can make the new phone last that long.
USB is 5 volts. To verify you can cut one end off a USB cable and strip the red and black wires to read with your voltmeter.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I put one similar to this in my engine panel a few years ago and it is still working.
View attachment 45974
If it fails, replacements are plentiful on Amazon for $10-$15.

I installed 4 dual USB charging ports similar to Ken's pictured above, with the supply voltage readout, a couple of seasons ago. Two are panel mounted and replaced cigarette lighter sockets. One is at the Nav table, the other in the bulkhead forward of the galley. The other two are mounted (zip-tied) to the reading lights on either side of the v-berth so we can keep the phones bedside at night and charge them. One thing I noticed about ours is that when a phone is plugged in the voltage indication might drop a couple of tenths while the phone is charging. Checking the main battery monitor showed that the house batteries did not sag from the tiny 5V current drawn by the phone. The indicator drop is apparently a result of how the USB charger is wired internally. They work great. I do miss the lighter sockets sometimes, but I have a work-around for my 12V trouble light.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
I spoke to a tech about this recently. Her thoughts - the cigarette lighter style isn't going away anytime soon. Best have at least one on board and buy a USB insert.
Yeah, I have several things that rely on the cigarette lighter connections - including a TV, Sirius XM receiver, handheld VHF charger and inverter - so it's not going away "anytime soon" for me. USB insert is easy enough to use.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Cigarette lighters are just a 12 volt outlets (when was the last time you actually plugged a lighter into one?). nothing wrong with using them. If the socket and device plugged into it have a good secure connection there's not much to worry about. If it's loose it can create some issues just like a loose terminal wire can.

I've gone through my fair share of cheap Amazon USB chargers, maybe I'm just a slow learner. I've come to the conclusion that they aren't worth it. Blue Sea systems chargers haven't failed yet. USB chargers have active electronics in them to convert 12v nominal to steady 5v. This is probably where the cheap ones take short cuts and where they fail. Thankfully, I haven't had any catastrophic failures, just one day they work and the next they don't.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Yeah, I have several things that rely on the cigarette lighter connections - including a TV, Sirius XM receiver, handheld VHF charger and inverter
I would think an inverter would be a high-draw item, so I'm surprised one would have a cigarette-type plug. Seems on many of those cigarette plugs, you can wiggle them back and forth and they make and break contact. Not sure I would like that on an inverter.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
I would think an inverter would be a high-draw item, so I'm surprised one would have a cigarette-type plug. Seems on many of those cigarette plugs, you can wiggle them back and forth and they make and break contact. Not sure I would like that on an inverter.
Nah, it works fine. It's a very small one that only sees occasional use with small draw items when sailing or anchored.