upgrading from signet instruments on E34-2?

phildogginit

Member II
hello
The signet instruments on my E34-2 work. (depth transducer, paddle wheel water speed, masthead wind speed and direction, 2 displays on binnacle).

I think about upgrading them and I wonder what other people have done and what's involved (do I need to replace the wiring in the mast?)

thanks!
Phil
hull #236

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think the question will be, what are the existing cables compatible with? Whatever's compatible becomes an alternative.

A modern chartplotter is fairly cheap and gives GPS speed and depth with an in-hull (not thru-hull) transducer. (Paddlewheel speed is a racing thing in my opinion, GPS is close enough for jazz.)

Does your autopilot need hooking up to wind speed and direction? If not, you could always try a Raymarine Tack-tick wireless anemometer if the masthead cable is untrustworthy.

In fact, you can go all wireless, and the trend is to big multifunction displays, none of which I;m familiar with.

When revising, I started my thinking with the display screen and worked our from there.

EGregerson

Member III
I don't have the mast head wind speed, but if I did it would be wireless. I can't imagine new equipment connections being compatible with old; they just won't do it. I replaced my instruments, knotmeter, depth with raymarine; then added auto pilot all about 12 years ago. (had to cut pieces & glass in the original holes for the smaller display diameter) The knotmeter and depth senders, if you keep the same set up, you'll have to pull the cables thru a hose under the starboard settee; use electrical cable lubricant (the guy at Lowes called it elephant snot); it works. The binnacle stuff is accessible above that panel in the owners 'stateroom'; take care to avoid fouling cable/wires on the steering chain. note; If u keep the paddle wheel sender. u can compare speed to the gps sog, and get the current speed. which is nice, when u need it.