To lubricate the steering cable and sheaves?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I'm reading a book about boat maintenance (he's been sailing for 20 years, compared to my 40 years:( ), and he's advising against lubricating the steering cable at the quadrant and the sheaves. I've always added a bit of 3 in 1 oil to the cable and to the sheaves as well as to the pedestal chain up top, to ensure minimum friction and smooth function. Can anyone suggest why this author would say one shouldn't lubricate these?
Frank

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Lubrication is typically about friction reduction or corrosion protection. In the case of the cable and the quadrant, my guess is that minimizing friction between the two isn't necessary (the cable doesn't "slide" over the quadrant). However, minimizing the amount of dirt and contamination that may collect on a greasy cable may be a more important consideration.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

Thanks for your reply. I have been thinking, possibly erroneously, that as the quadrant turns, the various strands in the cable would stretch at different stages and rub at each other causing wear. I've been trying to minimize that by adding some oil to the cable. But I've been known to overdo things sometimes. :)
Frank

peaman

Sustaining Member
Nigel Calder (4th ed.) writes (p. 756) "Cables need lubricating" 2 or 3 times per season by wiping with a rag soaked in engine oil. For the clutch, bronze bushings and chain, he calls for engine oil for lubrication, and advises against grease. Stainless needle bearings can be greased.

Frank Langer

Nigel Calder (4th ed.) writes (p. 756) "Cables need lubricating" 2 or 3 times per season by wiping with a rag soaked in engine oil. For the clutch, bronze bushings and chain, he calls for engine oil for lubrication, and advises against grease. Stainless needle bearings can be greased.

Thanks for your replies. That makes a whole lot more sense to me. :)
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don't know why the cables themselves need to be lubricated, but it can't hurt--unless maybe the old observation that lube catches dirt. Chain, bearings etc., sure. This from YS:

YS maintenance Capture.JPG

Pete the Cat

Member III
I don't know why the cables themselves need to be lubricated, but it can't hurt--unless maybe the old observation that lube catches dirt. Chain, bearings etc., sure. This from YS:

View attachment 45995
Just be careful about getting oil on the wheel brake pads in the pedestal. Not sure why there seems to be no instruction from manufacturers about the use and care of the wheel brake. Maybe there is, but I have never seen any. Repair instructions, but not proper use.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
When I replaced my cables and chain, Edson provided a can of their spray lube in the kit.
It's pricey to buy separately, but it was convenient to apply. Time will tell if it's actually any better than ordinary oil, but they claim it doesn't hold dirt as well as oil.