Thinking of those in California

Pete the Cat

Member III
We had some 45 kt sustained winds here in Alameda and some gusts of 60--but others in the state had worse. I live on a marina and we did not have any major damage there, but a few trees are down. I understand that 650,000 folks statewide had lost power but I think some of that has been restored. We still have gusty winds and some modest rain, but it appears the main part of the atmospheric river has passed.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For most of us it's just raining. LA County alone is the size of North Carolina, and when the news says "Los Angeles" or "California" its just news-eze. They seem to intentionally not name specific locations, so as to spread the panic. "80 million people in the path of 6" of snow!" That used to be called winter.

But thanks for asking and don't get me started. Anyhow, no boats endangered here in this storm.

Solarken

Member II
No snow here! But lots of rain, gale winds and big swells! A boat lost its mast Sunday and landed on the Long Beach breakwater!! Some hurt but not bad. All crew recovered!!!

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
No snow here! But lots of rain, gale winds and big swells! A boat lost its mast Sunday and landed on the Long Beach breakwater!! Some hurt but not bad. All crew recovered!!!
Yeah. A Santa Cruz 50. Apparently beating up the outside of the breakwater, headstay failed, rig came down and before they could do get stuff cleared and start the engine they were on the rocks. Ugh.

flying-fisch.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
SA calls attention to lobster pots, I guess prop-fouling lobster pots.

But it seems to me that if the mast goes over the side, you're not motoring anywhere. Just a bad place to lose the rig.

were it not for 10k lobster pots (just like there are in the entrance to every marina), the boat would have been saved (without issue).

a minefield of lobster traps at every harbor entrance for 5 months every year has always seemed asinine (to me)
I was sailing in this race; we were a little further down the course when it happened. We all sailed a slightly loose beat in lumpy seas and about 22 knots of breeze along the outside of the lower breakwater, just off the rocks. Some boats might have sailed a little further out but the shortest distance was straight down the wall. While there were crab pots everywhere, hundreds of them, if you lost the rig I don’t know how you could possibly stay off the rocks. You’d have about 30 seconds the cut the rig loose and get moving.

jtsai

Member III
For most of us it's just raining. LA County alone is the size of North Carolina, and when the news says "Los Angeles" or "California" its just news-eze. They seem to intentionally not name specific locations, so as to spread the panic. "80 million people in the path of 6" of snow!" That used to be called winter.

But thanks for asking and don't get me started. Anyhow, no boats endangered here in this storm.
North Carolina is 53,819 sq mi. Does LA County stats include the Pacific Ocean to the Catalina Island and the St Clemente Island? Land mass wise, it doesn't look as large as North Carolina when viewed in Google map. Just curious..

Last edited: