The ship's compass: valuable & useful

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Two years ago this month I put an entry into the Blogs here about our compass rebuild. While it's true that our new electronic plotter is the main navigation instrument in these modern times, I thought it worth noting that sometimes nothing is better than a large, readable, and properly-damped magnetic compass.
:nerd:
Before the memory fades, our recent rough trip over the Columbia River bar should be mentioned. When I spent a rather stressful hour driving the boat thru steep wave tops and the odd breaking top -- "significant waves 4' to 6' with occasional breaking waves" as the radio broadcast calmly put it -- the ship's compass was The go-to instrument when holding the wheel and bracing feet in a wide stance... :0

The bow would go up 4 and down 7 regularly, and veer to either side 20++ degrees on the way. I quickly figured out that watching the compass swing and bringing it back toward center all the time was the most productive way to steer. (That and the crew occasionally reminding me to try a bit harder to stay on course!)

No new news here to all you salty experienced Vikings, but it seems worthy of reportage when so many boat show salesmen & industry reps are strongly touting electronic nav tools and even sometimes pointedly disparaging the traditional magnetic compass. To be fair, not all reps and sales folks do that, but a lot of 'em seem to.

I guess that all this proves, again, is that you should use ALL of the navigation tools on board, and ALL of them should work properly.
Ha.... Some epiphany that turns out to be!
:)

Loren

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Wait you were STEERING.....

The issue is that you were steering. Had you actually followed the manufactures instructions for your electronics; the autopilot would have been steering the craft.

See there is no need for a compass, the electronics are supposed to steer too.

Soon there will be a cell phone app that sets the sails, and tells the stories back at the club house, so that you never have to leave the comfort of your own sofa.....

By the way seriously Good on you!!!! Just being out there in reality and doing something it is be rewarded! Especially doing something with thousands of year old technology.

Guy

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Reminds me of a bad night south of Cape San Blas with huge seas hitting us on the starboard rear quarter on a 44' CSY. The captain set one hour watches since the robust AP couldn't keep up and the dodger was like looking through a solid wall. The only way to steer a course was by hand, looking at the compass for everything. No stars, no lights, middle of the Gulf. We all teased each other about who could hold the best course.

Vagabond39

Member III
Technological pacifiers

Ah modern inventions.
Progress.
Now that you have a car, you can forget how to walk.
And with a Boat, who need to know how to swim.
Eric the Red didn't need GPS.
Nor did his son Leif.
With all the modern computing power, brains are optional.

Emerald

I have a nice chart plotter, and a variety of other "modern" aides. When push comes to shove, I find that 99% of the time I use dead reckoning and still steer compass courses from buoy to buoy in unknown areas, and well, even places I know, just because.

:cheers:

Vagabond39

Member III
Dead Reckoning

Years ago, on a 1939 launched ship, while entering Long Island Sound through the race by Montauk Point, I releaved my back up at secondary plot. He informed me that he had six small boats closing at 3 KNOTS, steaming in perfect formation, probably fishing. Radar Contacts. He had plotted their positions on the Dead Reckoning Table (DRT) chart.
I asked him what Set & Drift he was using.
When he had no inkling what I meant by Set & Drift, I explained about the DRT using gyro course and Pitomoter log speed through the water to estimate current position, and Set & Drift corrected for currents deflecting the ship from the estimated position.
Those Six fishing boats were channel bouys.

Last edited:
the one thing not working on my 32-2 is the helm compass. It's off by 80 degrees and then changes erratically. Is this something I can fix/refurbish? Or does anyone have a binnacle compass they can sell me?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

Guy Stevens

Is it full of fluid?

80 degrees and jumps? Sounds like a broken card support inside the compass.

Guy

Post a pic!

Guy

Well I have not been missing it working since the autopilot readout on the instrument control (placed low on the starboard side next to the engine control panel) gives an accurate heading using its own compass. I can also turn on my iPhone... The gps compass also works. But reading this thread made me yearn for a real binnacle lit with red light at night showing us the way all the way to Nova Scotia... I was thinking of just measuring the diameter of the pedestal and then looking for a used one that works. I'm pretty sure it's not interference. Other compasses on the boat would act funny and they don't. But it's probably something stuck or out of rotation. I'll post some pics soon.