Temporary seal for leaking headbolt

Charybdis

Can you use a high temperature epoxy sealant as a temporary seal around a leaky headbolt that penetrates the water jacket? If so, what product would you recommend. Traditional thread sealants and JB weld do not stop the leaking.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
Can you use a high temperature epoxy sealant as a temporary seal around a leaky headbolt that penetrates the water jacket? If so, what product would you recommend. Traditional thread sealants and JB weld do not stop the leaking.
Are we talking about a gasoline or diesel? Can you provide a picture so we know where it is? There are hi temp JB weld products in the auto store. But if you have tried these and they do not work, I think you are out of luck. I am going to assume this is an Atomic 4.

Charybdis

Engine is an Atomic 4. Head bolt is in center and is also one of two bolts that secures alternater bracket.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
How is the jb weld failing? Not adhering, or cracking or are the bolt threads not biting? If adherence is the issue the metal may not be free from all residue. Automotive brake cleaner works well for cleaning and leaves no residue. Maybe a light sand of the area with fine paper as well. If the threads are not biting you may be able to use one/some strands of very thin wire (copper or steel) to lay in the female end which will allow the bolt some extra purchase.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
Engine is an Atomic 4. Head bolt is in center and is also one of two bolts that secures alternater bracket.
And what is it leaking? Just raw water? If this bolt is somehow securing the head, it would have torque specs. If it is a true head bolt, I would be inclined to go to the root of the problem if you intend to keep this engine. That would mean removing the head and seeing what is going on inside. Possibly drilling and tapping new threads and getting a new bolt and new gaskets. A4s are very solid engines and can take a lot of abuse, but the raw water cooling system on some can be a problem. As you probably know, these are very simple and the Moyer folks are a world of help if you need parts and advice. FWIW.

Charybdis

JB High Heat Epoxy (available at Autozone) appears to be working - set up nicely and seems to have stopped the raw water leak for now. If it fails in the coming months I will be sure to post. At the end of the season I intend to re-drill and tap to install a new bolt but this center bolt does not appear to be critical for securing the head or gasket.