Starter Replacement

bolbmw

Member III
Universal 5416 Starter Removal/Replacement

I have an '81 30+ with a universal 5416 and am in the process of replacing the starter. For anyone that's done this, is there any trick you've used to remove and get the starter in there? The access is tight and I can't come up with any sort of angle that would allow me to get the old one out. Hoping I don't need to disconnect the coolant hose and fitting at the bottom of the engine near there. Getting access to the bolts was no problem, but trying to angle that thing out... good grief..

If you have this same motor and have removed your starter - how did you do it? Do you recall how it was mounted? On my motor, the top of the starter is mounted on a stud with a nut, and the bottom mount is a bolt. If that stud wasn't there, I think the housing would clear easily enough in the enclosed space.

Last edited:

hodo

Member III
Starter

I cant recall that far back, when I had an 80 30+, but can you double nut the stud, to remove it?
Harold, Mischief :devil: Maker

bolbmw

Member III
FYI - Once I disconnected the lower coolant hose it came out with just enough clearance, so one must definitely drain the coolant and move that hose in order to remove the starter. The stud in question is from the factory according to the parts diagram. Definitely a character building experience.

The problem with the starter was that the 'hook' that screws into the solenoid and actuates the drive lever had become detached (stripped threads) and could no longer move the drive lever. This left the pinon gear slightly engaged but unable to backout/retract into the housing. Bench testing it the solenoid no longer works either. A new starter is its way to me now :)

Last edited: