Spell Checker - Goooood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Sean,

I like the spell checker that you've added. While mis-spellings aren't much of an issue on this site, I've found it useful, even though it is not populated with too many nautical terms (yet). If I venture to Add words to the dictionary, does it add to the online file that everyone uses or to a personal version for each user? If I add a word that turns out to be spelled wrong, I'd like to be able to remove it.

Thanks for keeping the ERY.o website on the bleeding edge of forum technology.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I don't have to be smart, just lucky!

Loren,

I think I leapt to a wrong conclusion (Yep, I mighta done it again :rolleyes:). What I thought was a feature of the bulletin board software is probably just an open source software "close encounter of the third kind." :Kissy:

My usual browser is Firefox 2.0 (Mozilla) and I use OpenOffice 2.0 (Sun) instead of MS Office. I can't think of an efficient way to test this theory, but I'll take a look and see if Sun or Mozilla mention this compatibility. I only notice it in the thread/response editor.

Kind of strange that "OpenOffice" isn't in the OpenOffice dictionary as a default.

:egrin: Never mind!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Spell Checker

No, it's a feature specific to IE. I need to send them an email to find out where the dictionary is for it - but it's on the user's box. If you're using Firefox, Safari, etc, you're out of luck.... ;)

//sse

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I see that IE has a spell checker available (www.iespell.com) but I don't have it downloaded. I use Firefox 2.0 and I just discovered that it contains a spell checker of its own.

Check here:

Tools...Options...Advanced...General tab - has a Browsing section with features that include activating a spell checker. A dictionary of your chosen language may have to be downloaded. The Firefox 2.0 Help file has directions. This was not part of FF 1.5.x as far as I know.

Thanks for checking into it. I may go get the IE speller and try it, too.

Ciao,

Status
Not open for further replies.