Spartite mast seal

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Anyone know anything about spartite mast seals ? They’ve reinstalled my mast for my rigging project . The work isn’t finished but a remaining task is to pour the spartite mast seal . I have about a 1/2”-3/4” gap between the cabin top and mast . The cost for this is very expensive. Do people who haul their boat and take down their mast replace this every year ? I’m glad they are doing it (12+ years old ) , but it’s pricey.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Anyone know anything about spartite mast seals ? They’ve reinstalled my mast for my rigging project . The work isn’t finished but a remaining task is to pour the spartite mast seal . I have about a 1/2”-3/4” gap between the cabin top and mast . The cost for this is very expensive. Do people who haul their boat and take down their mast replace this every year ? I’m glad they are doing it (12+ years old ) , but it’s pricey.
I had a Spartite seal which predated my buying the boat. I assume the mast collar was greased before filling so the Spartite could remain on the mast when the mast was pulled. It worked fine for me as I pulled the mast a few times.

Last edited:

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
I had Spartite on my Tartan 37 and it was a problem. I installed the stuff according to the instructions and put petroleum jelly on all the surfaces prior to pouring and the stuff still stuck horrendously when we tried to remove the mast the first time. Removing the stuff from the LPU'd mast removed the paint on the mast. As you know, the specs say that you should not expect it to stop mast partner leaking and it didn't. I went back to a neoprene collar and gator arrangement and it works fine. IMHO this is another marine solution looking for a problem and presenting a few issues with its implementation.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Sounds like more hassle than it's worth to me.

The poor-man's version:

- Put any kind of mast boot you can around the bottom (solid boot if the mast isn't installed yet, self-amalgamating boot if mast is in already)
- Put a few addn'l wraps of self-amalgamating or other tape (I used vinyl electrical tape) around the top of the boot, making sure it adheres to the mast.
- Put a hose-clamp around the tape wraps to keep them from unraveling.
- Cover the whole area with canvas to keep sun & weather off the area

20200803_152434.jpg 20200810_174025.jpg

I've had no leaks in 7 years.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
With a keel-stepped mast , are there any lateral forces on the deck at the mast/deck interface ?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
The cost for this is very expensive.

The SparTite itself is not that expensive. Usually under $150 for a kit.

What's probably expensive is the yard labor, because they effectively have to build a "dam" around the mast under the deck to seal off the bottom of the mast partners so that the SparTite doesn't leak out when it is poured in from above. It's often a messy job, and makes a REAL mess down below if it leaks.

I'm with Kenneth. wood blocks at the partners, plus a well-sealed boot with a sunbrella cover to protect it works fine for me.

$.02
Bruce

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
With a keel-stepped mast , are there any lateral forces on the deck at the mast/deck interface ?
The mast should be balanced side-to-side so shouldn't be much lateral force. Wood blocks are usually used to fix the position of the mast in the opening (partners).

However, some of the bend, and likely some of the rake used to pull the masthead aft of "center" has to be counteracted by the (wood blocks at the) mast partner.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Spartite came on my boat and is now 7-8 years old. Works fine so far. Be sure to give it some UV protection.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I'm a fan of SparTite. It's worked well for me so far and does a good job of keeping the exterior mast water out (can't do anything about the stuff coming down the inside).

Even the small drip I complained about turned out to be from the hatch. Since I replaced the hatch, it's been dry. I haven't pulled the mast yet, so I don't have a complete review yet.