Spare parts - what and how many?

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
So today, we had what could have been a really bad ending to lovely day and night in a quiet little cove.

After raising the anchor this morning, we were motoring back to the main channel of the lake. I've gotten in the habit of leaning out to check the water exhaust every so often especially when we first get underway. Looked normal. We had motored maybe half a mile, checked again - water, though less than usual, but also some white smoke. "That's not right". Went below, engine seacock open, check. No visible blockage in the raw water strainer, check. No leaks from the water pump, check. Grr. Checked the exhaust again, water, but more white smoke. Grrr.

Shut the engine down. Fortunately we were not to the deep water yet, so dropped the anchor. Went back below. My first thought was "impeller?", hoping that was it 'cause I have spares for that. Got the tools out and went to work.
IMG_1451.JPG
When we bought the boat there was a decent assortment of spare parts on board for our 2QM15 Yanmar:
Impellers (2) and gaskets (2), fuel filter, air filter, fuel pump, belts for water pump (2) and alternator (2), thermo switch, zinc, o-rings and a bonnet gasket (that's what's on the label).
Also oil, transmission fluid, and a supply of those petroleum blotters. Plus the original Yanmar toolkit which has wrenches to fit every fastener on the engine.

Well, it was the impeller. The broken vane was partially lodged in the water pump outlet.
Wasn't a big deal to replace, but I'm very glad that we were where we were and not a far more stressful location, but also - I had the right parts.

So what spares do you carry and how many?

Pete the Cat

Member III
I think that depends on where I am going. I have a spare raw pump, (complete), a spare freshwater pump (bought on Amazon for $50), and that is about it for coastal cruising. I keep a lot fuel filters and the next oil change stuff. It is a sailboat. When I was cruising Central America for a couple years I took a spare alternator and regulator in addition, but never needed it.

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
In addition to what David noted (minus an alternator) I carry an additional Facet pump for the M2-12’s fuel system. I have added heat shrink disconnects to the spare, installed pump, and electrical supply to facilitate a quicker swap out if necessary.

Second Star

Member III
We spend our time in the Gulf Islands with access to boatyards etc but still want to be able to get on with things if possible. We carry a spare impeller and gasket, lengths of hose of each dia for the engine and head (not the 1-1/2" size though); a partial rebuild kit for the head; spare fuses and bulbs as reqd; engine belt; fuel filters; a generic fuel lift pump; heat exchanger zincs; gasket making materiel; press on electrical connectors and butt joints and a generic starter solenoid. Except for the solenoid and lift pump, we've had occasion to use most of them over 15 years.