Slip needed on Easternshore

Tazz2

Hello to all. I am in need of a slip that can accommodate a 6 foot draft. I found a 32 mkiii that I am very interested in but without a place to keep her I’m at a los. I live in Salisbury on the Easternshore and have contacted a few marinas that I thought would be easy access to the bay and within an hour drive with all saying they are booked up. I’m at a standstill til I can find a place before I put offer in and go furthe. Thanks for any help you can offer. I can be contacted at 410-726-9156. Please send subject as Ericson for text. Thanks

Eric

Bolo

Contributing Partner
That's a deep draft for the Eastern shore. Have you tried any marinas in Crisfield or Cambridge? If I recall, when I visited Cambridge the marina was very large but not too sure of the water depth. The channel into Cambridge looks deep enough but the approach to the municipal yacht basin looks a bit shallow for a 6 foot draft. Maybe look for a shoal keel like the one I have on my E32-3.

Tazz2

Thank you for the reply Bob. I do not think Crisfield would be good, the channel is narrow and shallows quick. I did look into Bachlors point in Oxford and they are all booked in all their marinas already. I was put on the wait list with others. The 32mkiii that I am looking at is the deep keel at 6ft so it’s not easy to find something on this side of the bay. I did send e-mail to Cambridge municipal to check on slips. It just adds more time to get out into the bay from there.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Higgins Yacht Yard in St Michael’s? Although when we were there over the 4th of July we took a dinghy ride, motored into it and it looked crowded but maybe they have room for one more 32 foot boat? Have you considered looking for a shoal keel boat or are you set on the full keel for say, racing? My 32 has the shoal keel (4.4’) and it gets me into or through most places.

Another place that would be a bit of a drive but get you closer to the bay would be Knapps Narrows Marina. Small marina but they do haul outs and other services. Next to the bascule bridge there and right off the channel through Tilghman Island which did have some extensive shoaling but it’s been re-dredged. Came through there not too long ago with plenty of water below the keel. From there you could head west right into the bay.

Last edited:

Tazz2

I was up at st michael’s yesterday and it is just too crowded all the time since it is a tourist hot spot for the shore, and slips are high

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I know little (nothing?) about your available mooring venue(s) but I am familiar with our local marina options, I wonder if your marina search should be widened a bit.
Here, it's common for boaters to focus initially on public or private/corporate marinas and overlook yacht clubs.

While some YC's are more like country clubs with an expensive emphasis on their restaurant and bar operations, others are inexpensive and have more basic social amenities.

It's possible throughout the NW to find a maintained marina, with a clubhouse, all built/maintained by the members, and at half or a third the cost of the fancy ones. One repeated comment we hear from prospective members visiting our smaller (150 slip) club is that they were talked into investigating and applying by another member, after previously believing that "yacht clubs" were snooty and expensive places. i.e. they really "did not know what they did not know."

For a birds-eye view, search on GoogleEarth, enter Rose city yacht club, portland. The odd looking part of our parking lot on the right is our settling pond 'pit' for dredging spoils. We have several Ericson's drawing 6 feet.... and we operate our own dredge every winter to keep it that way. :cool:
Our whole marina, clubhouse, and adjacent patio were all assembled/constructed by members. We have two resident member households to watch over the facility as well. I moor beside one of them, upper left of the image.
Anyhow, good luck on finding a place for your (almost) boat !

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Again, looking over my Navionics app this morning I found a little marine near Chester on Kent Island called “Island View Marina“. It’s right at the top of Crab Alley thats part of Eastern Bay. Looks to have deep water, isn’t expensive and according to one review it’s a nice “mom and pop” run marina. Might be worth checking out.

Navman

Member III
I am at Handy's Point North On Worton Creek and have 6'6" draft. There is an empty slip next to mine which has a little deeper water as it is closer to the channel. Rates are OK and access to the bay is only a few minutes (5-6). The manager is Jeff Brussells, 410-778-4363 or 410-476-7092. Email is Jeff@handyspoint.com.

Navman

Member III
Actually, there are several slips on my pier which are available all deeper than the one I am in, so availability is not an issue. The distance you may travel to the Handys Point marina is the only unknown.