Shore Power not working

lulugrace

Member I
Hello,

New to forum.. just closed on a 1988 Ericson 35-3 and not sure of the switch panel configuration to set up for overnight charging of the batteries with shore power? I guess the ac breaker on and battery switch on both but really don't want to guess. Previous owner is no longer. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the Viking gang!
:egrin:

You probably have the same breaker panel as the E-34 and E-38 of that era. Same as our boat, too.
Shore power switch 'on', main AC panel should have a breaker labeled for battery charger. Turn that on. I believe that the charger is wired directly to the battery (or both if a second bank is fitted).
With switches 'on' see if there is an 'on' light indicator on the charger. Your volt meter should show about 14 volts when being charged.
Note that if the original panel meter is badly faded or even deceased, you can get an identical new one from NewMar.
That OEM 8 to 16 volt expanded scale meter is great to have in service as a check against whatever more-sophisticated electrical system you install later.

I replaced ours when it finally died.

Shore power note: inspect *closely* the 30 amp cord and inlet fitting on your boat for any sign of corrosion or past arcing. Any singed material is cause for replacement. (You might find a new cord and inlet installed on a used boat, but many owners just ignore this for years n years. :( )

lulugrace

Member I
Wow! That's the explanation I was hoping for. I love this site and forum already. Thanks so much. Oh, just one more thing.. is the shore power switch on the panel by the nav station or somewhere else? Did not notice a switch for that on the panel.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Wow! That's the explanation I was hoping for. I love this site and forum already. Thanks so much. Oh, just one more thing.. is the shore power switch on the panel by the nav station or somewhere else? Did not notice a switch for that on the panel.
On my boat ('90 32-200, similar in vintage to yours) my steps are:

0. Turn off the "AC service" switch on the panel.
1. Plug in the big shore power cord to the boat.
2. Switch on the "AC Service" switch on the nav panel.

If everything is working, all of the outlets and other AC services should come on. This is essentially independent of your 12v battery system except for the battery charger, which takes AC power and converts it to DC to recharge your batteries.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I have a 35-3;
For Overnight charging when not at the marina, this is what I do:

Upper panel is DC and large "Off/Batt 1or Batt 2/Both" switched "off".

Lower panel is AC (Shore Power): Master switch always "on" There is a small diode light to show "On". Battery charger switch "on". All other switches "off" unless you want to switch the "Outlets" to "on" for your 115v accessories like fans for air circulation or 115v lights if camping out on board. All shore power, no drain on your house batteries...charger keeps house batteries topped off.