Shaft key

jtsai

Member III
How much does the shaft key suppose to be inside the coupler? This one seems barely engaged.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 17

ConchyDug

Member III
Oh woof, depends on how long the machinist cut the keyway and made the key. You definitely want the prop shaft bottomed out in the coupling or flush with the face.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
How much does the shaft key suppose to be inside the coupler? This one seems barely engaged.
It is most likely fine. The machinists sometimes (often) make the key and slot longer than it needs to be. Important thing is to look carefully at the key if you remove so that it goes back in exactly the orientation as it came out. Some keys and keyways are tapered.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My key isn't visible. Be nice to see part of it. If the keyway gets buggered up over the years, as I am told is common, a whole new shaft is required.

I recently found that out for $1000.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
My key isn't visible. Be nice to see part of it. If the keyway gets buggered up over the years, as I am told is common, a whole new shaft is required.

I recently found that out for $1000.
Yes, and a principle way the keyway gets buggered is when the wrong key is put in (an ill fitting one) or it is put in incorrectly (some have tapered dimensions). If everything is not very snug in the coupling, you can imagine what happens when your crew jams the engine into gear with the engine above idle a few times.