Salt Water System - Looking for what factory install looked like

dxulander

Member I
Basically previous owners gutted the fridge unit out of my 1989 Ericson 38-200, and the owner's manual gives a description of the salt water functions, but no pictures. Specifically how does the salt water intake and the icebox drain connect together to feed what I assume is the salt water foot-pump, which then is sent to the salt water faucet? Is there a filter on the salt water intake?

Basically have all of the salt water system hoses cut, and trying to piece together what's what. Picture or video of your galley under sink would be amazing.

Also don't have refrigeration at the moment, but that's another project for another year.

Thanks!

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Basically previous owners gutted the fridge unit out of my 1989 Ericson 38-200, and the owner's manual gives a description of the salt water functions, but no pictures. Specifically how does the salt water intake and the icebox drain connect together to feed what I assume is the salt water foot-pump, which then is sent to the salt water faucet? Is there a filter on the salt water intake?

Basically have all of the salt water system hoses cut, and trying to piece together what's what. Picture or video of your galley under sink would be amazing.

Also don't have refrigeration at the moment, but that's another project for another year.

Thanks!
There is a E38 plumbing plan. https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/resources/plumbing-and-thru-hull-plan.212/

peaman

Sustaining Member
My rig, which I believe is original and common to other models: There is a through hull with ball valve and tee fitting. The ice box drain has a ball valve which connects to one side of the tee. Other side of the tee connects to the salt water foot pump. The ice box drain valve should normally be closed, to prevent sea water from entering the ice box.

If you want salt water for dishes, etc, the sea cock must be open. If you want to drain the ice box, the sea cock should be closed, and the ice box drain valve should be open. Operate the foot pump to remove water from the ice box.

P.S.: The E38-200 must be one tough boat if your 1898 model is still floating! :egrin: (check your signature)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The 381 may be different from the -200, since the galley moved. But the idea is probably the same.

Fresh water foot pump is specific to the fresh water line.

Salt water intake, I think, is from my Groco seawater filter (engine cooling intake). There can be a simple valve on that line to permit temporary diversion from the icebox. I use the salt water foot pump a lot and the icebox drain option is handy when flooding the icebox to clean it (even though I have refrigeration)..

(icebox drain option doesn't appear in the diagram)

a Ericson 381 plumbing 1.JPG

daynardi

Member II
Our '85 E32 was arranged as follows: Through-hull under the gally sink with ball-valve, connected by a tee fitting to two branches. One branch goes to the icebox. The other branch goes to the foot-pump connected to the gally sink. A valve on the side of the icebox prevents the box from flooding when the through-hull is open.

Normally the icebox valve is closed. When we want to get seawater for washing up, we open the through hull and use the foot pump. To empty melt-water from the icebox, we close the through hull, open the valve on the side of the icebox, and use the footpump to pump the icewater into the sink. We are careful to keep the icebox valve closed unless we are pumping out because the bottom of the box is below the waterline.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
My engine compartment cleanup expanded to a full plumbing rebuild including the salt water / icebox drain setup. Has anyone rebuilt the salt water manifold? if so, what did you use?