Sailing has ruined late fall & winter for me

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Used to look forward to the changing of seasons and cooler weather here in the Northeast. Crisp, frosty mornings, eventually some snow, fire inside, the holidays. Then I took up sailing and bought a boat. Now the thought of changing seasons sends me into a funk. Had to contact my sail guy the other day about installing a third reef and fixing the genoa luff tape this offseason, and while composing the email, became depressed as hell thinking about taking down sails and winterizing the boat. I'm sure I'm not alone. (I know, you West Coasters and Southerners can't relate.) Damn you sailing. :confused:

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
@bsangs - Truth, Brian. We're about to do an extended road trip for a family wedding so we're in the process of winterizing now. The boat will be hauled this week. October sailing in the Northeast can be some of the most beautiful of the year. It was a sad trip to the winter boatyard. We vow that next year, late April to early November, we're not leaving New England. Now I need some of that single-malt @Loren Beach has been talking about.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
@bsangs - Truth, Brian. We're about to do an extended road trip for a family wedding so we're in the process of winterizing now. The boat will be hauled this week. October sailing in the Northeast can be some of the most beautiful of the year. It was a sad trip to the winter boatyard. We vow that next year, late April to early November, we're not leaving New England. Now I need some of that single-malt @Loren Beach has been talking about.
Now?! Oh hell no. I'd have "contracted" Covid, or some other violent coughing ailment. I'm sure the bride would want me to stay home in that case. ;) We were out as late as November 7th last year, and it was 70 degrees. Made me regret breaking down the boat the next day. Hoping to sneak out a few times in early November this season. No scotch for me - peat, yuck - but some hot buttered rum (or bourbon) on a chilly boat sounds nice. Enjoy the wedding.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I relate to this story:

A Vermont farmer was visited by a Mississippi official after the Civil War, when the South was trying to get back on its feet by giving away land. They met in a freezing barn in January with wind howling and snowbanks all around.

"We'll give you 500 acres, free. It never snows. Why, in Mississippi, sir, you can farm all the year round! Think of it!"

Farmer scratches his head, thinks a minute, slowly lights his pipe.

"You fellas down there think I'm stupid?"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Speaking of how to spend the winter, often it gets snowy/icy, so most of us winterize our boats at the slip. From about November thru February it is really quite cold for sailing or overnighting. Water almost never freezes, at least out in the channel, but the "misery factor" is rather high thru the mid winter months.
I have quite a few friends that charter in the Caribbean during the cold months or board a plane to Hawaii for a week or two.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nope, I still love to go sailing on the winter months--anchorages are empty, winds can be great, as long as I wear my mustang suit and wool socks to keep warm. :)
Frank
Frank, you are one tough Viking!
:egrin:
Viking winter Image added, from another 'Frank' ... Frazetta, altho not on an Ericson This is just outside Frank's marina!

Attachments

• Winter.png
    Winter.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Nope, I still love to go sailing on the winter months--anchorages are empty, winds can be great, as long as I wear my mustang suit and wool socks to keep warm. :)
Frank
Which I’d love to do, but the fear factor of not winterizing my engine is strong. If I don’t get to the boat for a while during a cold snap, I’d worry about the freezing damage. How do you deal with that up there?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Which I’d love to do, but the fear factor of not winterizing my engine is strong. If I don’t get to the boat for a while during a cold snap, I’d worry about the freezing damage. How do you deal with that up there?
Hi,
We live in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, where the temperature is moderate. I have a small plug in electrical heater that I use on those nights to keep temp just above the freeze level when I'm away from my boat for trips away to visit family, and also on those nights where temp is expected to drop more than a few degrees below freezing. The ocean does not freeze here, with water temp usually at 5 to 7 degrees Celsius (low 40s Fahrenheit) so the boat hull retains some of that heat.
I live about 10 minutes from our yacht club, so can check on the boat as needed (when I'm not sailing :))
Frank

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I have been enjoying following this couple as they travel to cold places. Of course their boat is more suited for such extreme conditions but I think for me it’s more about attitude (and proper clothing). Here in the PNW our waterways don’t actually freeze over and it’s usually just gray and rainy so I guess I need to work on my attitude and get out more in the winter!

I run a muffin fan in the engine compartment all winter which gives off just enough heat and air movement to keep things from freezing (so far).

Vtonian

E38 - Vashon
I like Juho's channel too, great perspective on cold weather sailing. My daughter says, 'there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing choices', which prompted me to hunt the Black Friday deals last year for some great deals on better foulies and gear. It's coming up again soon...

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I will be out tomorrow Thursday and Saturday this week 10/25 and 10/28 for some mid-70's sailing on Narraganset Bay off Rhode Island. I will have a video of this sail going for those who log into the Friday evening 10/27. The plan is to sail out of the Sakonnet river and grab an empty mooring. For me, Sailing in the Fall is the best time of year, strong winds, few boaters and lols of open moorings.

Frank Langer

Yes, this is a lovely time to sail. The weather is still a bit warm, winds are often good and anchorages are mostly empty. It's a great time to get away for a few days, watch wildlife, ponder life and reset priorities. :)
Frank

Frank Langer

Sounds lovely! I'm heading out for a few days sailing and anchoring out in our lovely Gulf Islands on the BC coast. Sunny and expected temps of 10 degrees celsius/50 degrees Fahrenheit, winds 10 to 15 knots. Not bad for end of October! :)
Frank