Rudder Stop Question

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
Hey folks. My Ericson has rudder stops installed on the Edson steering quadrant (https://edsonmarine.com/2-vertical-rudder-stop/#:~:text=Description,the swing of the Quadrant.) that "bump" up against L bracket aluminum stock installed underneath the cockpit floor on either side of the pedestal. My stops actually slide/pass underneath the brackets and the brackets are pretty chewed up. The system is clearly not functioning as it should. The questions for you all - (1) have you experienced this before? (2) were the brackets poorly sized and would a slightly longer (vertically) replacement solve the issue? (3) Is is possible the entire quadrant slide down 1/4 inch over the years allowing this situation to develop? Thanks to all in advance.

Shawn Brooks

Member II
>> were the brackets poorly sized and would a slightly longer (vertically) replacement solve the issue?

Yes.

>> Is is possible the entire quadrant slide down 1/4 inch over the years allowing this situation to develop? Thanks to all in advance.

Not unless something is obviously wrong with the rudder and related mechanisms. Open the emergency tiller port in the cockpit and see that the top of the rudder post sits pretty close to flush with the top of the bearing.

I think the brackets were just not the right size--simple as that. I manufactured new correctly sized brackets.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My 32-3 had such L-brackets, which when they got whacked were difficult to tighten and make secure again.

E32-3 upper rudder post bearing .JPG

There is a simple solution, if it'll work on your boat. The bumper just needs something to hit. This was, or is, Loren's O34 (or so my caption says).

Loren's O34 rudder post gland.jpg