Rolls Batteries?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I find that no local vendor seems to have any Trojan T-145 batteries in stock. No one seems to know when more are available, either.
One shop wants me to consider Rolls GC batteries instead. Size is about the same and the AH capacity is close; and the weight is just a few # less. I have always noticed that the AH capacity seems to rise in these batteries consistent with the (lead) weight.
And yes, for now we are sticking with flooded batteries, having no desire to change our charging system(s) at this point,
Price is similar, too.
Supposed to be a high quality battery.

Any opinions you all might like to share?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I find that no local vendor seems to have any Trojan T-145 batteries in stock. No one seems to know when more are available, either.
One shop wants me to consider Rolls GC batteries instead. Size is about the same and the AH capacity is close; and the weight is just a few # less. I have always noticed that the AH capacity seems to rise in these batteries consistent with the (lead) weight.
And yes, for now we are sticking with flooded batteries, having no desire to change our charging system(s) at this point,
Price is similar, too.
Supposed to be a high quality battery.

Any opinions you all might like to share?
I've never had a Rolls battery, but they do have a good reputation. Let us know what you decide.
Frank

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
When I was doing battery research a long time ago, I remember Rolls coming up as one of the "serious" battery manufacturers. I just now tried to locate some of my old research, but this is all I could find:

PLATE THICKNESS​

Plate thickness (of the Positive plate) matters because of a factor called "positive grid corrosion". This ranks among the top 3 reasons for battery failure. The positive (+) plate is what gets eaten away gradually over time, so eventually there is nothing left - it all falls to the bottom as sediment. Thicker plates are directly related to longer life, so other things being equal, the battery with the thickest plates will last the longest. The negative plate in batteries expands somewhat during discharge, which is why nearly all batteries have separators, such as glass mat or paper, that can be compressed.​
Automotive batteries typically have plates about .040" (4/100") thick, while forklift batteries may have plates more than 1/4" (.265" for example in larger Rolls-Surrette) thick - almost 7 times as thick as auto batteries. The typical golf cart will have plates that are around .07 to .11" thick. The Concorde AGM's are .115", The Rolls-Surrette L-16 type (CH460) is .150", and the US Battery and Trojan L-16 types are .090". The Crown L-16HC size has .22" thick plates. While plate thickness is not the only factor in how many deep cycles a battery can take before it dies, it is the most important one.​
Also, here is what I had for Seattle area Trojan dealers:
4 dealer(s) found:​
Battery Systems
MASTER DISTRIBUTOR​
105 S. Brandon​
Seattle, Washington 98108​
United States​
Telephone: 206-762-5522 or 800-543-0085​
Fax: 206-762-0713​
Battery Systems
MASTER DISTRIBUTOR​
5509 West Valley Hwy #B102​
Sumner, Washington 98390​
United States​
Telephone: 253-826-4733​
Fax: 253-891-4197​
Factory Motor Parts - Auburn
MASTER DISTRIBUTOR​
3902 W Valley Hwy N Suite#302​
Auburn, Washington 98001​
United States​
Telephone: 800-791-6580​
Factory Motor Parts - KENT
7820 South 200th Street​
Kent, Washington 98032​
United States​
Telephone: 253-478-7535​

Have you searched for forklift, wheelchair/scooter, and home-solar batteries as well?

Maybe also look at Crown: https://www.crownbattery.com/crown-battery-electric-forklifts-pallet-trucks or
Concorde (aircraft batteries): https://www.concordebattery.com/

Good luck.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks Ken! That's good information.
I visited another battery dealer today and actually viewed the Rolls beside the Trojan. It turns out that the Rolls has an "automotive type" raised post beside the stud bolt attachment. This would make it difficult to use our BlueSeas fuse terminal that works so well. By comparison, the Trojan has a "flat" post with only the bolt sticking up. Looks like we will stay with the Trojan. They say they should have one in early next week. They have the T-125 on the shelf, but not the T-145.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Thanks Ken! That's good information.
I visited another battery dealer today and actually viewed the Rolls beside the Trojan. It turns out that the Rolls has an "automotive type" raised post beside the stud bolt attachment. This would make it difficult to use our BlueSeas fuse terminal that works so well.
Loren, or anyone else with a similar issue, I believe that raised post can be cut off easily if desired. I tapped a hole in one of mine when I was looking for an extra ground location in the battery box:

20210508_185957.jpg

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I have a pair of Rolls 6FS-GCHC. Same dimensions the T-105 with a few more amp hours. They've been very good to me, can't say enough good things about them. I helped a friend move 6 of their 2V monsters from his car onto his 46. At 145 pounds each he's obviously a very good friend.

You could also look at US Battery's US 2200 XC2. I'd have bought these instead of the Rolls if they were around at the time.

In my opinion these particular 6 volt Trojan, Rolls, and US batteries are all the same quality, and they're the same physical size. I'd go with whoever has the best service.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We just spent two nights out, relying on the (new) house bank. Fridge was on all the time. Arrived at mid day Saturday and left early afternoon Monday. System now charges up all the way to 100%, on our "Smart Gauge" readout. We were down to about 83% on Monday, and the digital voltage readout was at 12.5. It did drop to 12.35 while the Espar forced air furnace ramped up on Monday am, but returned to 12.5 after the furnace settled down in run mode.
Later in the day the engine started up instantly same bank.
(Not science-grade data, but just a real-world narrative.) ;)

It's nice to have the House Bank back to full reliability. Two new T-145 Trojan's in series.
Confession: (about the install) I did have some help from a couple of younger guys to move the pair of 70# batteries into the boat; they were working on a nearby boat and I offered them $ for a few minutes of lifting and they refused the $. :)
A day later I was able to carefully lift the old ones up n out, inches at a time, carefully.

Last edited: