Rippers Cove or Little Gibralter?

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
It's that time of year again except this time I am turning 55. Join Roxanne, if you can find her, and win a cold drink plus enjoyable, pleasant, light hearted conversation...provided by my brother Kevin. Hoping to hear "Captain Bepi, I presume." The forecast onshore winds have turned west, a three day break from june gloom is slotting in for the weekend. Instead of motoring against a five knot headwind, I will be sailing. Best birthday gift possible. Ericson owners, I urge you to be uncharacteristically irresponsible, let the weeds in the lawn grow, leave the dust on your car, and go sailing!

Last edited:

La Vida E34-200

Sail la vie 1987;E34
Cheers and Happy Bday!! Wether a bday Father’s Day or any other excuse I can find to spend time on the island “ I DO” .. Rippers/whites area is such a serene part of Catalina.. Weather looks great for the weekend.. if not for awaiting the arrival of a new mainsail I’d join you!! Enjoy, stay safe ..

Fair winds

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Per my mapping app, this is 981 miles from my house.
Love to visit, but it's not gonna work for this weekend!
Happy Birthday anyway !!
:egrin:

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
1/3 the way across, I can see my shadow! Settled on Rippers cove, didn't scratch the surface of the hiking there on my last visit.

Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Reefed main and jib, using tiller clutch, sailing by herself, right on course. I love my Ericson.
Hi bepi, how’s the wind condition? Sea state? There appears to be some huge cumulus clouds east of me. Have a good sail!

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Hi bepi, how’s the wind condition? Sea state? There appears to be some huge cumulus clouds east of me. Have a good sail!
Just got back to the slip. The sail over was great had a few good slams on the choppy sea.
Anchoring at Rippers was beautiful, until the winds changed and a 20kt SW that came down out of the hills. It was everything you could want from the school of sailing. Anchored stern in I was soon stern out. The wind was so sudden and forceful it bent the fluke of my small stern danforth as it was pulled free and I swung 180⁰. It was afternoon so it was easy to adjust. Last night at sunset the wind changed and thick clouds rolled in. When the sun was gone it was pitch black, not a star in the sky. Sooo, in the howling wind I heated water for coffee and considered the watchful and sleepless night ahead until I remembered an anchor alarm app I had down loaded to my phone. I set it and slept like a baby until the alarm went off at 2 am. Up like a flash and on deck, all was well, I think my anchor chain moved a few feet. I watched and then reset the alarm and as the wind had dropped I slept till dawn with no other trouble. Hiking The Valley will have to wait, conditions were too unstable to leave Roxanne. Stimulating yet educational.

Attachments

• 20230616_194641.jpg
    20230616_194641.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 10

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
. . . Sooo, in the howling wind I heated water for coffee and considered the watchful and sleepless night ahead until I remembered an anchor alarm app I had down loaded to my phone. . . .
I enjoy reading your travelogues. Entertaining and inspiring. Can you recommend the app you use? I see three in the App Store.
Thanks,
Jeff

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
I enjoy reading your travelogues. Entertaining and inspiring. Can you recommend the app you use? I see three in the App Store.
Thanks,
Jeff
The one I randomly chose was "Anchor Lite". It's free for the bare bones but some features ask for permission to access every file, picture, location and your left progenitor. Luckily the basic ability to tell if you have moved does not require purchase or overt compromise. There seem to be some interesting features in the pro upgrade but the free version did the job.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
The one I randomly chose was "Anchor Lite". It's free for the bare bones but some features ask for permission to access every file, picture, location and your left progenitor. Luckily the basic ability to tell if you have moved does not require purchase or overt compromise. There seem to be some interesting features in the pro upgrade but the free version did the job.
Thanks!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Me, I don't anchor anymore. Strictly a $50/night mooring ball sort now.

But I think you have it right: try a place, if there're bugs, or a cross sea, or too crowded, or holding ground worrisome, just move.

Catalina often has an active seaway even in the mooring fields, it's part of the charm if not the calm.