Repower Ericson 29 with Betamarine in the North West

woodyericson

Anyone in Washington state repower an Erickson 29, that has Atomic 4, with a Beta Marine? Where did you have done and ball park cost?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Several of us have updated to Betamarine diesels in the last few years. my 'SWAG' is that a Betamarine 20 would be about right for an E-29. That's just an opinion, of course, and worth .02 on some days.
At a design displacement of about 8500#, that seems plenty adequate, to me.

Nice thing is that modern small diesels are physically more compact for a given power output than older engines and easier to fit into existing engine compartments.

You should do some searches on this site for conversions. Not the same boat of course, but I have some blog entries with photos about our engine replacement. My blog entries: from about June thru August of 2018.
The Beta 20 can be ordered configured with mounts for replacing an A4.

Darned Good engines, IMHO, (But then I would say that...)
:)
Ball park cost will about $9K or so, in the crate. That's engine, transmission, instrument panel, a complete package. Costs may be higher than my memory recall, please note. Plan on additional expense to replace the OEM exhaust system, and fuel tank/hoses.

Also: I slightly edited your thread title to make searching easier; I hope you do not mind.

Last edited:

Richie 32-3

Member I
Several of us have updated to Betamarine diesels in the last few years. my 'SWAG' is that a Betamarine 20 would be about right for an E-29. That's just an opinion, of course, and worth .02 on some days.
At a design displacement of about 8500#, that seems plenty adequate, to me.

Nice thing is that modern small diesels are physically more compact for a given power output than older engines and easier to fit into existing engine compartments.

You should do some searches on this site for conversions. Not the same boat of course, but I have some blog entries with photos about our engine replacement. My blog entries: from about June thru August of 2018.
The Beta 20 can be ordered configured with mounts for replacing an A4.

Darned Good engines, IMHO, (But then I would say that...)
:)
Ball park cost will about $9K or so, in the crate. That's engine, transmission, instrument panel, a complete package. Costs may be higher than my memory recall, please note. Plan on additional expense to replace the OEM exhaust system, and fuel tank/hoses.

Also: I slightly edited your thread title to make searching easier; I hope you do not mind.
The Beta 25 with standard controls was approximately $10,700 at the Annapolis Show in October, the 20 should be about 700-800 cheaper.

paul culver

Member III
Be sure to also price out additional work that might be required with the swap out. When I did this years ago I became contented with my Atomic.

frick

Member III
20 years ago I replaced the A4. In my 1971 E29. I put in a Yanmar 2gm20f. The project also included a new prop shaft, prop, all new fuel lines. Removing and cleaning the fuel tank.

The yanmar was a bit taller than the A4 so I build a box with insulation to go over the yanmar.

It gave 20 years of no issues... But the yanmar was 75 percent the total value of the boat

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Anyone in Washington state repower an Erickson 29, that has Atomic 4, with a Beta Marine? Where did you have done and ball park cost?
I would look first for a used Yanmar or Universal in decent shape on Craigslist. One, two, or three cylinders are small enough to haul around in a pickup with a little forethought.

woodyericson

I would look first for a used Yanmar or Universal in decent shape on Craigslist. One, two, or three cylinders are small enough to haul around in a pickup with a little forethought.
Well, except i don't want to do the work and can afford not to. I also understand that labor and motor/transmission, are worth more than the boat and motor upgrade will be after the fact. But i like my E29

I also have a fresh A4 ready to go in but decided to reconsider.

Was hoping some one else in the NW had one done and would share where.

andy beach

Member I
Have you talked with Beta Marine Northwest in Deer Harbor? I believe there is another SJ Islander that put a Beta in their E-34. Perhaps they will chime in.

ThurstonCounty

Member I
We picked up a E29 “Vamos!” who had the conversion and they did have to build a box over the engine to accomodate the extra height. The main issue I’m dealing with is that the linkage for the Beta is opposite of the atomic so my tranny and throttle are backwards… (push forward to engage reverse, etc.). Gonna have to get in there and do something about it this summer.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We picked up a E29 “Vamos!” who had the conversion and they did have to build a box over the engine to accomodate the extra height. The main issue I’m dealing with is that the linkage for the Beta is opposite of the atomic so my tranny and throttle are backwards… (push forward to engage reverse, etc.). Gonna have to get in there and do something about it this summer.
Picture of our new throttle reverser in this blog entry. It's a bell-crank, and not hard to fabricate, once you decide on the design.

ThurstonCounty

Member I
Picture of our new throttle reverser in this blog entry. It's a bell-crank, and not hard to fabricate, once you decide on the design.
PERFECT!!!!

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I replaced the M25 in my E35 MKIII a little over a year ago in Port Townsend. There is a local Beta dealer in PT that I bought through and he was helpful with making sure things would fit, etc. I decided to go with a Beta 30, since the M25 always seemed underpowered only to find that was probably a symptom of the M25's nearing demise. A Beta 25 would have been plenty for my E35 and I'm thinking Loren is right that an Beta 20 would be good for your E29. The Beta 30 was a little long for my engine compartment and I had to build a little bump out on it to accommodate the front of the engine.

I decided to hire a new diesel mechanic in PT to do the install as a favor to my knees. He left town with no notice before the job was finished and I had to redo much of it myself. So much for hiring things out.

Despite that, I'm really loving the new Beta. I expect it will easily last the rest of my sailing life and be worry free during that time. I did my first oil chance last year and was grinning from ear to ear using the built in sump pump to do a 10 minute oil and filter change with no drips!

If you search back threads you'll find my descriptions and pictures of the install.

Good Luck!

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy