replacing all coolant hoses on M35 A

ketch37

good morning folks, I am looking to replace all my coolant hoses from afar as I am in Florida and my boat is in NY. I have seen a kit from marine direct for a m35 B ( not sure of difference between B and A ) however it is like $ 285 seems a little pricy. I have the service manual and a few of the hoses listed it just says hose with no size or length. Does anyone have this information with lengths and Id dimensions? I would like to just purchase from mc master or Grainger or something like that to save on cost but will do whatever necessary. Thank you for any input

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Checking my recall in my Way Back machine, when I replaced all of the hoses on our former factory-installed Universal M25XP, there were two classes of hose size length. All the ones that connected parts of the engine systems at/around the block, and all the ones that connected the engine systems to remote tanks and parts.
The short list would be the ones on the engine -- coolant hoses for the HE, pump connectors, and some small hoses for diesel delivery.
The second group is for fuel: supply, return, vent, and deck fill. Those will vary with every boat, and be prepared to find that some will benefit from re-routing which will change the length.

Good News is that modern hose construction keeps improving and the OEM stuff that may have made it to 15 or 20 years will be replaced with hose that should go for 25+ years.

Also, over the years I have added a cabin heater using engine coolant heat and relocated our hot water tank, so this necessitated different hose lengths and routing. BTW, those two devices are "in series". Not all owners will be doing that upgrade.

Being far away from your boat is certainly a PITA. I am lucky to have an industrial hose supply company located about 3 miles from our moorage. (!) Cash and carry; the counter guys are really helpful.

Good luck!
It may help to have a small dictionary handy for beginning and intermediate imprecations, too.

ketch37

HI Loren, Thank you for you quick reply. At this time I am just doing the coolant hoses on the engine based on some pictures that my brother sent me. There seemed to be be a couple special 90 degree bends that i just wouldn't be able to form with out buying some elbows and doing it that way. I think it may be too much of a PITA trying to do it from afar with out the ID dimensions. Thanks again. Joel

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You might consider changing all the hoses, since once you're in there and set up with a few cheap tools it seems to make sense.

Often with our old boats the hoses are mismatched and compromises have been made over the years, since it isn't always easy to find the right size and hose specs on a shelf (although a big West Marine store may have them, or get them fast).

My job is here:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
A hose removal tool, available widely at low cost, may save you time and trouble. A heat gun may also be helpful.
Frank

JSM

Member III
There seemed to be be a couple special 90 degree bends that i just wouldn't be able to form with out buying some elbows and doing it that way. I think it may be too much of a PITA trying to do it from afar with out the ID dimensions.
When I did my M25xp a few years back I took the angled hoses to a NAPA auto parts store and they matched them up. The rest I was able to purchase by the foot at West Marine.