Removed Behind the Mast Furling, Advice on Tack Attachment

Kingfisher

Continuing my E27 refurb I removed the behind the mast furling system that was worn out, glad it's gone but I'm left with a non standard gooseneck attachment. Getting ready to dive into a new main sail and need to get this area sorted. My plan is to remove the connector in the picture where the furler attached and replace it with a stainless bolt to attach the boom. The upside down L shaped bracket will come out with it leaving me a mounting point (hole closest to the mast) to install something to attach the tack. Looking for some guidance on a plan, something simple and strong that won't hurt the new sail. Does this connection need to pivot with the boom? Fine as a hard attachment that doesn't move? What to install?

Kind of new at this and looking for suggestions.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• gneck.jpg
    gneck.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 232
  • gneck 2.jpg
    gneck 2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 234
  • gneck 3.jpg
    gneck 3.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 225

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Slide

On my former 27 the gooseneck fitting for the boom was a slide that fit inside the sail track on the mast. It allowed the main sail to be tensioned through a down haul line and block. It basically was a stainless steel cylinder, the same diameter size as the sail slides and approximately 4" long, with a full length rectangular stem protruding out through the sail track. Attached to the stem was a stainless steel plate with a bail on the bottom and two horizontal plates with holes to accommodate the pin from the boom. Centered above the horizontal plates was another vertically mounted plate with a hole for securing the tack of the main sail. Sorry, no pictures. But I'm sure one of the E-27 owners on the site will have a picture of what I've tried to describe.

Last edited:

dt222

Member III
What Al said

This is what my goose neck looks like and as described by Al.

Attachments

• DSCF0207.jpg
    DSCF0207.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Gooseneck.jpg
    Gooseneck.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Kingfisher

Really don't want to source the original setup, no suggestions on making what I have work?
I switched things around temporarily, I could replace the L shaped pin with a bolt, the square section will rotate currently, not sure if it will with a sail hoisted.
attachment.php

Attachments

• gneck 5.jpg
    gneck 5.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 324

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Brilliant. Just add a stainless clevis pin.

If the tack connects OK to the pin and the luff and outhaul strains seem normal, you should be all set.

Oh, and consider replacing that old cotter ring with a cotter pin. My surveyor says there are far too many cotter rings on our boats, and pins are almost always more secure and less likely to snag lines and get yanked out just as the gale worsens.

Last edited:

dt222

Member III
I would be concerned with the distance between the tack and the luff of the main. with your existing hardware it looks as if the tack would be several inches off of the luff track of the sail, but heck, try a clevis pin or a simple shackle, and as Al mentioned, with a loose-footed main, you might be OK. It also appears that with your set up, you don't have any option to raise/lower the boom, correct?

Don