Reefing on my 46

willo

Member II
I've just re-installed my main sail. It now features a tides marine tough track (which is awesome)
I also added dyneema lazy jacks by installing a pair of padeyes on each side and a cleat at the front of the boom. Dyneema is eyespliced tot the padeyes with friction rings up top instead of sheaves.The jacks can be released and pulled up to the cleats to get them mostly out of the way. I can also tie them to the mast if that's not sufficient.

Now I'm down to Reefing lines, working over the traveler and maybe a cunningham.

For Reefing, I have three cheek blocks on the boom, along with large padeyes on the opposite side of the boom.
Each reef can have a line run through a dedicated block, up through the sail and back down to the boom.
It appears that I can rig all three reefs with dedicated lines, but I don't really have a mechanism to pull those lines down from the boom - I do have a small boom mounted winch and a cleat.

So, I'm trying to determine if I should run all three or just run two - one permanently set for the maximum reef for quick setup and one that I can move between reefs. I have no desire to try running a single for a cruising rig.

Thoughts? I can add pics tomorrow.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Two of my three reefs are typically rigged for use. By far the most used is the first reef, for crew comfort (so they shouldn't spill their wine, or whine).

The third reef I rig only when necessary, which is almost never, since the boat sails well under jib alone.

For a windy passage or season, I often just temporarily reef the first reef with a piece of spare line acting as the outhaul. That leaves the existing reef gear available for Second and Third reef. (But full sail is no longer available).

How many cleats on the boom? Since you have external reefing with a winch on the boom, I imagine you need a a cleat on the boom for each reef line.

I don't know how tender the 46, a factor no doubt important. The 38 profits from an early first reef, but rarely needs two. We both have big headsails, which can be roller-furled easily as the breeze mounts.