Rain, rain, rain!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I realize that you have little rain to spare.... but we could sure use some up here in PDX, too.

Looks like a great sail you were having.
:egrin:

Loren

Lucky Dog

Member III
Wait, I have test.:0

My boat Scuppers is named after my first book. A Golden Book, The Sailor Dog.

A get a lot of questioning looks about the name. :rolleyes:
Mark

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Wait, I have test.:0

My boat Scuppers is named after my first book. A Golden Book, The Sailor Dog.

A get a lot of questioning looks about the name. :rolleyes:
Mark

There's a big orange tabby cat at my marina named "Scupper". He's the watch dog for the dock he and his skipper live on. :nerd:

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
There's a big orange tabby cat at my marina named "Scupper". He's the watch dog for the dock he and his skipper live on. :nerd:
My parakeet is named Scupper! I'd suggest introducing them except I'm afraid your Scupper would eat my Scupper! :0

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Rain? I'll show you rain...lol!

Im sure you guys will take all you can get out there.

Thanks is for the video Ignacio!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
If this is true, poor Scupper might need improved skills to keep his boat afloat.

El Niño could bring disaster and drought relief to California

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-el-nino-forecast-20150721-story.html#page=1

Woah! From that article. I was under the impression that that did not happen.

"Can hurricanes hit California?

Surprise -- yes.

Hurricane-force winds hit San Diego on Oct. 2, 1858, and tropical storm-force winds were felt up the coast to Long Beach, according to scientists writing in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. El Niño may have been a factor.

"Houses were unroofed and blown down, trees uprooted, and fences destroyed" in San Diego, according to one newspaper account. Another newspaper story reported severe damage at the San Pedro wharf, and heavy rains flooding streets and homes in Los Angeles.

A tropical storm struck Long Beach in September in the El Niño year of 1939, causing $2 million in damage.

And as El Niño developed in the summer of 1997, Hurricane Linda -- at the time the most powerful on record in the eastern Pacific -- threatened to menace Southern California and make landfall in San Diego as a weak hurricane or strong tropical storm. But the hurricane shifted direction and headed west to sea."

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
1939 California Storm

Reading through some history of hurricanes making landfall in CA, I came across this interesting footage and narrative about the 1939 tropical storm in Southern CA, which is believed to have been the result of El Niño conditions that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZl6-xYtZZg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZl6-xYtZZg

Wow. That is a really extraordinary account, not of a hurricane, but of a chubasco (the account is clear, the title is incorrect).

Observe the Stella Maris, a big ketch, choosing to fly all sail, including a mizzen staysail, to run a breaking inlet in 60 knots. She seems under complete control. She won her class in the 1939 TransPac and was later rerigged as Tenderfoot II).

The smaller powerboats were probably single-screw. The rescue attempts were heroic, given the craft involved.

The kids on surfboards apparently saved eight people in what was clearly a very difficult undertaking.

Why did so many boats choose to run a breaking inlet, with predictable results?

The gale was not forecast, some or many appeared to be returning from Catalina with no good picture of inlet conditions. My guess is that Southern Californians then, as now, have little practical experience with breaking inlets.

The report is remarkably specific, with names and context--hats off to the people who made it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• stella maris.jPG
    stella maris.jPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 147