Guest viewing is limited
  • Untitled Document

Join us on May 31st, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

May Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

PVC Zodiac Dinghy Glue

erikwfab

Member II
I have a 2003 8' West Marine French built dinghy that the bottom glue just let go on. it is otherwise in good shape and so I am looking for a glue to reattach the bottom even just to last 6 months. Have talked to the local raft repair shop and read about the Zodiac glue, $100 qt. Also just read that SailRite sells a glue HH 66 https://www.sailrite.com/HH-66-Vinyl-Cement-16oz and know that 3m 5200 is tough stuff.
does anyone here have any experience using any of these glues on PVC dinghy's?

jtsai

Member III
I can share my recent attempt repairing a similar age PVC dinghy using the PolyMarine two-part adhesive (polymarine.com/pdfs/Polymarine-PVC-Adhesive-Use-Guide.pdf) purchased from Defender (WM has it too and they match Defender price). It is a fantastic product, the repaired lifting strap was stronger than un-repaired one. So if all you are doing is glueing the bottom to the tubing, it should work.

However in my case there were also air leak at the tube seam. After multiple iterations of patches, I ended up chasing leak after leak. Apparently once the PVC adhesive at the seam failed, it is matter of time losing the whole thing.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
BTDT
HH66 did not work. Pulled apart again after a couple of days.
PolyMarine two-part works. Can be kind of messy trying to get it into those odd angles of the floor. I also added some reinforcing tapes to the outside bottom of the seam. No problem two years later.

Part of my problem might be storing the Zodiac on a trailer in the summer sun (under a tarp)- puts unnatural forces on the floor. I now take everything out of it after hauling out. Especially the fuel tank.

Problem with PolyMarine is that for a job like this, the 250 ml kits are not big enough. However the shelf life is not great enough to keep the 1L kit around for long. Gotta have a whole lotta gluing to do. Or buy several of the small ones.