Putting an A/C in my Ericson 27

2ericson27s

Member I
Has anyone put a window unit a/c in the engine bay? There seems to be plenty of room both front and back, and it should exhaust its heat into the cockpit locker area. Was wondering if anyone's tried this with any luck before I take a saw to it. Thanks for the input

Attachments

• 10 17 2015 097.jpg
    10 17 2015 097.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 10 17 2015 100.jpg
    10 17 2015 100.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 63

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
You might think about changing the condenser coil to a water cooled coil and not have to leave the locker open and have that heat in the cockpit. There are diagrams on how to do this on the web, you will need a pump to circulate the water to cool the coil. This is fairly simple if you have an ac guy that can help do the conversion.

2ericson27s

Member I
I'll check into that, I only want to use the A/C when I'm in a marina which would be rare. Not sure if it'll get used alot.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Here is what I did for years with a window unit. Excuse the dirty boat, these were taken when the boat was at my shop under trees.

The base is the height to make the step fill the bottom washboard space and the other three will close the companionway, it is assembled with one screw at each corner so it folds.

AC step 001.jpgAC step 002.jpgAC step 003.jpgAC step 004.jpgAC step 005.jpg