Propane tanks for ericson 1988 35-3

northgirl

Hi; We have a, new to us, 1988 Ericson 35-3 and it has 2 dedicated propane lockers in the cockpit, but the stove it came with is natural gas. We would like to convert the stove to propane as it is hard to have the natural gas tank refilled, but the holes for the propane tanks appear an odd size. Does anyone know what propane tanks would fit in that size of hole? Thanks!:)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I plumbed in a propane cooking heating setup on our prior boat. Shopping for a tank that would fit the location that I had was interesting. :rolleyes:

Between the ubiquitous painted steel tanks at the hardware stores and the specialty ones at the propane dealer there was considerable variety.
I went with an aluminum tank to avoid living with rusty steel...
You might want to check with some on-line sources.

Even the steel ones that you might think are "all the same" will vary from one big chain store to another.

There should be some owners of sister ships checking in here with suggestions.

Cheers,
Loren

C.A. Fields

E38 "NIMUE"
Hi; We have a, new to us, 1988 Ericson 35-3 and it has 2 dedicated propane lockers in the cockpit, but the stove it came with is natural gas. We would like to convert the stove to propane as it is hard to have the natural gas tank refilled, but the holes for the propane tanks appear an odd size. Does anyone know what propane tanks would fit in that size of hole? Thanks!:)

We have the two propane tanks in the aft seat of our E-38 that are probably very close in size to your 35-lll. I use a regular 11 pound steel tank times 2 and each one lasts us at least a month in the summer even using the bbq. I removed my CNG as well after using most of a 50 dollar bottle to bake a cake once. Depending on the stove/oven you have, jets can be usually obtained that will convert yours to propane.
C.

Navman

Member III
Propane tanks

Hello and congrats on your new Eboat,
I was looking into new tanks for our E 38 this summer and found that "DEFENDER MARINE SUPPLY" had the largest selection and the best prices. They had sizes to fit all different size lockers as well as all of the miscellaneous parts and fittings one might need. I looked everywhere including RV stores (which were surprisingly MORE expensive than the marine stores! You will have to pay for the shipping, but all in all they were in my opinion the best choice. They also have discounts and sales prices going on all of the time. Go online and check them out.

Good Luck!

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I too have the natural gas-propane problem. I like the natural gas but it is not available anywhere on the Olympia Peninsula including for your house. That gives me the option of going to Seattle and that involves a full day and various ferries and floating bridges, etc or going to Sidney and exchanging bottles which is easy but costs $130 per bottle. I am going to switch to propane also. The 34-2 has a locker at the stern also on the port side for a larger bottle. When you change over, there are several things you need to do. You have to change the jets in the stove. For many stoves, you can buy new jets or, if you can't, you can have a machine shop fill the holes in the current jets and redrill them to the correct size which, if memory serves right, is .028". You need to change the hose from the stove to the tank with a propane rated hose (a hose replacement would be recommended in any case). You need to replace the regulator and be sure that the stove is the only appliance on that line. You need to insure that there is a drain from the bottom of the tank to outside the boat above the waterline. Do not splice into a cockpit drain line. The top of the locker should be sealed with weatherstripping. No storage other than the propane bottle and regulator is allowed in the locker.

This doesn't cover everything but hopefully gets the thinking in the right direction. Oh Yea! A propane sniffer in the cabin is a good idea along with a CO2 monitor.

Good Luck.

Last edited: