Port light replacement

Shu

Member II
Does anyone happen to know if a 13 x 6 port light from a Catalina 25 will match my E29? I've just got pictures and it sure looks like it will but can't be 100% sure. Anyone? Thanx in advance.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You would need to compare "cut out" sizes.
Are describing a Lewmar later model opening port? (Catalina Direct used to sell those, and probably still does.)

Loren

Shu

Member II
You would need to compare "cut out" sizes.
Are describing a Lewmar later model opening port? (Catalina Direct used to sell those, and probably still does.)

Loren

Hi Loren. The only thing posted is the Catalina 25. I did buy it (14$ on eBay) and I'll let you know if it works. Confidence level is pretty high based on pictures.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it's a bit too big, you can easily enlarge your existing hole. If it's too small....

You will have to pull the old port, though, and measure the opening. It's a five-minute job if the original caulking is shot.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I actually had to use a "vibro-tool" inserted past the aluminum frame to enlarge the opening enough to get most of the ports out. It's as if the openings have shrunk over the years. :confused:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Apparently the factory just didn't care about the cutouts. Mine were very nearly too large for the original Bomar (sic) portlights. And ragged, amateur cuts.

Odd, because the wood joinery is superb--even where nobody can see it.

Last edited:

Shu

Member II
Great input guys. I'm glad I asked. The previous owner removed the light for some reason, I expect to change the glass, and then misplaced the frame. He cut out an oval piece of 1/8" plexiglass for both inner and outer and actually did a pretty fine job, so much so that it doesn't draw the eye like you might expect. Anyway, I'll let you folks know if it fits in case the same issue comes up elsewhere. Always fun reading your input. Thanks again.

Shuman

Shu

Member II
I wanted to add an agreement and puzzlement (word?) about why the fiberglass cut outs are so sloppy when subsequent work is so nice. I removed the mahogany ply inside to replace a deck stanchion and was quite surprised by it. I couldn't cover it like that so my OCD took over and I cut it nice. Figure I'll just have to fix little stuff like that as I stumble upon it. Sure do love the boat though.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
FWIW we had to recut all of the port holes when we ordered custom made Boman ports. The original cutouts looked like they were done on training day at the plant. Bedded all of them with Lifecaulk. All is good...