Pelagic Autopilot

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Well, I finally got fed up enough with my Raymarine ST2000+ tiller pilot to decide to replace it with a Pelagic AutoPilot (http://pelagicautopilot.com/). When I bought the ST2000+ I knew it was (IMHO) junk, but at that time there were no good alternatives that I knew of. So I bought one in 2012 (when I got my E26-2) and added the WestMarine extended warranty, figuring it would croak before too long. It did. So now I have a second ST2000+, which is working about as well as they work--which is to say, not so hot. It's fine for steering under power and under certain ideal courses and conditions. But there are many conditions--often when I need it most--when it just doesn't hold a decent course. And yup, I realize the boat needs to be balanced properly (which I am careful to do), and that there are AP settings that can more or less improve its performance. More or less. Been there, done that. I'm still unhappy with it.

I've been following user experiences with the Pelagic, most notably those of Webb Chiles (http://self-portraitinthepresentseajournal.blogspot.com/). He found the linear actuator to be much more robust than the four semi-disposable Raymarine units he took along (which would break at different points along his route). Earlier in the trip he had problems with the control software on the Pelagic and so was not able to use it to good effect. In January, Brian Boschma, who runs/owns/is Pelagic, applied a software patch and Chiles reports good, solid operation since. It seems that his only complaint is that the actuator is noisier than the Raymarine unit, which sometimes interferes with his sleep. But now he only uses the Raymarine in less challenging conditions and switches to the Pelagic when he needs an AP that will steer the boat with authority. For my use, I'll gladly put up with a bit more noise for a unit that actually steers the boat when and where I need it to.

I've placed my order for the Pelagic and will report back after I receive it and get around to installing it. For now I'll just say that Brian has been responsive to answering my questions and seems very dedicated to constantly improving his product.
Revive an old post…

Alan,

are you still using this autopilot? If yes, any issues at all? How does it hold a course while sailing and not hooked up to a wind instrument?

I was originally going to buy ST 2000 but this seems like a better unit for not much more money. Any thoughts?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Revive an old post…

Alan,

are you still using this autopilot? If yes, any issues at all? How does it hold a course while sailing and not hooked up to a wind instrument?

I was originally going to buy ST 2000 but this seems like a better unit for not much more money. Any thoughts?
Hello, Gabriel.

Yes, I am still using this autopilot. And I like it.

I did have some reliability issues with it for a while. It came down to some hardware problems. There was a cold solder joint in the motor control box, caused by some QC issues with a company who was assembling boards for a time. And then there was a defective sensor in the control head. The sensor issue had nothing to do with the design or construction, but it simply was a part that went bad. In both instances Brian Boschma, who runs the Pelagic enterprise, made good on it and swapped out these pieces of hardware. It now gives me good service.

It is possible to hook it up to a wind instrument, though I do not have one. It sails to a compass course very well. Plus, Brian is constantly tinkering with the software to improve it. I just installed a new software update that will improve the steering even more when conditions get squirrely (e.g., surfing down swells with seas on the quarter). I've not been able to test the new SW because my cabin sides are currently torn apart since I'm finally getting around to dealing with the delaminated wood from window leaks prior to my ownership of the boat. (That's another story.)

Compared to the Raymarine...well, there's no comparing it to the Raymarine tiller pilot, so I won't even bother.

You've probably already seen this, but take a look at these videos to see how it holds a course on a beam reach in 17 kts. (gusting 22). It's doing a good job, and the latest software is even better. I'm looking forward to putting the updated SW through its paces once I have a functioning boat again.

BTW: 3 of the 4 top finishers in this year's SHTP race were steered by Pelagic units. And Brian himself, who owns an O34, is a member of this forum and checks in occasionally.

Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Hello, Gabriel.

Yes, I am still using this autopilot. And I like it.

I did have some reliability issues with it for a while. It came down to some hardware problems. There was a cold solder joint in the motor control box, caused by some QC issues with a company who was assembling boards for a time. And then there was a defective sensor in the control head. The sensor issue had nothing to do with the design or construction, but it simply was a part that went bad. In both instances Brian Boschma, who runs the Pelagic enterprise, made good on it and swapped out these pieces of hardware. It now gives me good service.

It is possible to hook it up to a wind instrument, though I do not have one. It sails to a compass course very well. Plus, Brian is constantly tinkering with the software to improve it. I just installed a new software update that will improve the steering even more when conditions get squirrely (e.g., surfing down swells with seas on the quarter). I've not been able to test the new SW because my cabin sides are currently torn apart since I'm finally getting around to dealing with the delaminated wood from window leaks prior to my ownership of the boat. (That's another story.)

Compared to the Raymarine...well, there's no comparing it to the Raymarine tiller pilot, so I won't even bother.

You've probably already seen this, but take a look at these videos to see how it holds a course on a beam reach in 17 kts. (gusting 22). It's doing a good job, and the latest software is even better. I'm looking forward to putting the updated SW through its paces once I have a functioning boat again.

BTW: 3 of the 4 top finishers in this year's SHTP race were steered by Pelagic units. And Brian himself, who owns an O34, is a member of this forum and checks in occasionally.
Thanks you! I think I will go through this route. Let you know how it goes.