Parquet Cabin Sole?

36C Hull 53

Was a parquet cabin sole a standard option for Ericson 36C? I recently encountered one. I have have never seen a parquet cabin sole before. My guess is it is not a very common thing?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages over typical planks?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Motorboats have them, a famous feature of the Grand Banks trawlers.

Parquet is square, a consideration. Planks are not. Plywood can be shaped and is what many Ericsons have (teak and holly laminate) .

I guess parquet is an advantage if you prefer the way it looks.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I installed about 2000 square feet of parquet in my home, twenty years ago. It was the cheapest real-wood option and I think it looks pretty good. In more recent renovations, I used planks instead. In part because the original stuff was no longer available.

Probably the biggest problem was cutting diagonal or non-square shapes into it. The whole "tile" unit would sometimes explosively disassemble in the saw. I ended up with some ragged edges that had to be hidden with trim. Doubtless there are "pro" methods for shaping it that I did not discover. Also, at least with the stuff that I bought, the square units were held together by a sort of edged wire pressed into the back side. Once they are glued down, it shouldn't matter. But on a boat, it seems like this stuff could corrode. (Possibly the cutting problems happened when a power saw snagged the wire...)