Paint question

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Why does that plastic get so ugly? I found that a wet Mr. Clean Magic Erase cleans them up nicely if they are not too far gone. I have seen them painted but they look worse when it starts to flake off. Hope someone her knows of a new miracle paint that will stay on!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My painted winch holsters are still going strong after two years in the sun. After three years, my white dock hose handle-zone paint is finally wearing off, but still looks better than it did.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I went to an auto parts place to find a spray paint suitable for plastics to paint bicycle handlebar grips white over the original black, and I have been amazed by well it has held up. Many years later, one wouldn't expect they are actually black underneath the white color.

paul culver

Member III
Christian, great advice on Rustoleum High Performance Enamel for my winch handle pocket and cowl vents. The only prep I did was a soap and water wash. Two spray coats covered all the rough spots beautifully. I'm considering using the brush-on version for the rub rail.

Thanks !

paul culver

Member III
One observation: The paint stiffened up the cowls to the point where you need to soak the bases in boiled water for about a minute to soften them up. After that they install just fine.