Outhaul diagram / drawing

patrscoe

Member III
Has anyone disassemble their outhaul and have came up with a diagram of how the purchases are set up?
Mine has never worked freely, especially when winds are calm and I need to release the foot of the sail.
I either need to install an exterior outhaul that works better or remove the one inside and figure out the problem. I would most likely replace the cable with Amsteel to allow it to run with less friction. I am kind of dreading to remove the inside of the boom gear, never know what I will find and access maybe difficult, at best.

Patrick

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Back in the 90's, after we bought our boat, I took the boom home. Removed the ends. It's a bit tight and fussy to see and work with the inner tackle. Good chance that you have identical parts in there.
Is there a wire coming up out of the center sheave at the end that shackles to the mainsail? That wire goes inside a few feet to an eye. Then there might be a 3 or 4 to one tackle with line and one end of the block system being secured up forward to a cross bolt. The end you pull on exits up toward the front and is led back to a cleat on the side of the boom. When cleaned up and maybe some of the blocks replaced it should work easily - for another 30 years.

Let us know what you find when you get it apart. Pix are good.

Slick470

Member III
I didn't make up a diagram when we had ours apart a few years back, but ours was pretty difficult to use and once I had the end cap off it was clear that the lines inside the boom were not run cleanly and there was a lot of friction in the system due to that. I took it all apart and put it back together so everything ran as fair as possible and there is a big difference in how it works. As Loren noted, it's kind of fiddly working inside the boom but it isn't too bad with a bit of patience and a steel fish tape. Bringing the whole thing home and working on it in the basement is helpful too.

I thought about replacing the wire part with amsteel but everything was in good enough shape that I just left it alone. Someone had replaced the line part at some point and must have introduced the issues when they did.

JSM

Member III
Had mine apart last year. I replaced the outhaul and added an extra block to give the tackle a bit more umpta. Once you open the boom up its all pretty self explanatory.
Here is a link to that endeavor.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The lines and blocks and wire inside an old boom are often tangled and needing cleanup. I had two blocks that had jammed together years before and completely destroyed each other. As said, not a hard job and pretty intuitive. Easier to bring the boom home, but it can be done on the boat (video).

Also, Ericson used wire for the internal purchase of the topping lift. Nowadays this can be replaced by Spectra, as can the whole topping lift.

Last edited:

patrscoe

Member III
Thanks.
I will bring home the boom and investigate the problem. Sounds like it is more of a common issue if not maintain.
It definitely appears that it is hung up and dragging on something. Works under winch but will not release with ease unless I assist by hand, which is not practical.

I do believe I took on probably too many winter projects this year.
Lifelines (done), repaired teak sole (in progress - almost done), replaced hatch lens (in progress but almost complete *** Because of the extensive amount of threads on this replacing lens and Christian's video, it made it much easier with no surprises), replacing seacocks (in progress), replacing mainsheet configuration and blocks (in progress) and now.... overhaul my boom outhaul system.
I am sure I will have one or two more before I re-launch in April. Planning to sail the Delmarva with my 17 yr old son this coming year.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Here is what I did to replace outhaul and topping lift on an E38. See PDF file. Plenty of purchase. Note the staggered locations of the blocks, to keep them apart from each other. You do have to ensure they don't get tangled up, but you can figure out how to do that. The boom is 14 feet long on this boat.

I replaced old, tired, nearly inoperative wire and rope tackle that was probably original to the boat. I used 3/8 (5/16?) braid for the parts that wrapped around the cleats. I don't recall for sure, but I think I had someone splice the Amsteel, rather than me try to tie a knot.

Outhaul-old04.jpg

Attachments

• Outhaul_Top-Lift.pdf
    173.3 KB · Views: 41